Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sully

Sully

Have seen the trailer for the new movie "Sully".
    Tom Hanks usually does good movies reasonably accurate depictions.

It seems like Captain Sully gets racked for his actions?

Is that fact?

Wouldn't surprise me, I read the captain of the Gimli glider got chewed for running out of fuel by Transpirt Canada?

The real criminal was the idiot govt who made us metric.

Just curious when I get to see the movie?

Most investigations get intense. x2 when the NTSB is involved. The armchair guys love to second guess decisions pilots have but a few seconds to make.

Quote Originally Posted by raytoews View Post
    Have seen the trailer for the new movie "Sully".
    Tom Hanks usually does good movies reasonably accurate depictions.

It seems like Captain Sully gets racked for his actions?

Is that fact?

Wouldn't surprise me, I read the captain of the Gimli glider got chewed for running out of fuel by Transpirt Canada?

The real criminal was the idiot govt who made us metric.

Just curious when I get to see the movie?
    I believe the date is September 9th. Only a 2.3 weeks to go.
    ~john
    N42-05.89 W070-40.33
    My heart is in
    N56-40.26 W003-00.18

Banned
    In the aftermath of incomprehensible and inexplicable events, and after the storyline of incredible skill, heroism and courage under the most intense negative conditions and stress is revealed, it is not at all unusual to start to question one's actions and assign blame. Happens all the time when horrible events occur.

In the case of Sully the movie, it's based on Sully's own autobiographical book. In the past 2 weeks Sully the person has been quoted as saying, "The story being told came from my experiences and reflects the many challenges that I faced and successfully overcame both during and after the flight.....I was involved in the development (of the movie) and am thrilled it's being brought to the screen."

Sully is not the first pilot(s) who has been second guessed and tormented about actions taken in the face of overwhelming odds to make a choice he/she thought was right and correct.

Captain Robert Pearson, the pilot of the incredible, famous Gimli Glider, otherwise known as a Boeing 767, was demoted for 6 months by Air Canada. The TSBC sited Air Canada management as responsible and negligent and praised the pilots for great skill. Captain Pearson was also sited as a cause for the fuelling errors.

In 2001, Canadian airline Air Transat Airbus 330 on a flight from Toronto to Lisbon with over 300 on board ran out of fuel over the Atlantic, 100 miles from the closest land mass. 100 miles out from the Azores islands and with zero power he made the most unbelievable pin point deadstick landing on a runway on the Azores. Investigation revealed the cause as a fuel leak because of poor maintenance. But Captain Piche, despite his amazing piloting skills and airmanship and saving the lives of over 300 passengers, was also sited for pilot error for failing to identify the fuel leak.

I think as pilots we all know that despite various circumstances within and beyond our human control, the PIC has final responsibility for all that occurs.

The most incredible, fateful facts that turns out to be unbelievably common in these 3 surviving aircraft events, is that all 3 pilots were experienced and accomplished glider pilots. What are the odds that these 3 guys were in the right place at the right time?

In defense of the NTSB, when SHTF they have to dissect the event in detail, even when the pilot makes the absolute best of a bad situation.

It has to be infuriating to the guy that makes the save, but the questions of why and how could you have done it better have to be asked, including digging into the state of mind of the pilot and any possible medical effects on the pilot.

I wouldn't want to be on either side of that table.

It [expletive] worked, didn't it? is a natural response; could it have been done better? is a natural question, even if the answer is a No, you couldn't have done a better job at it.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

My question is what could sully have done better? While I understand that accidents NEED to be dissected, there has to be a point in which the pilot just flat out gets a pat on the back and a thank you. I have reached the point that even a f my plane is hit by a meteorite and crashes, the root cause will be pilot ts inability to avoid piece of projectile space debris traveling at 12500 mph.
    Rick
    Last edited by wyoranch; 08-24-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
    My question is what could sully have done better? While I understand that accidents NEED to be dissected, there has to be a point in which the pilot just flat out gets a pat on the back and a thank you. I have reached the point that even a f my plane is hit by a meteorite and crashes, the root cause will be pilot ts inability to avoid piece of projectile space debris traveling at 12500 mph.
    But if the meteorite is visible at ten miles, that gives you almost three whole seconds to see and avoid. Surely a decently-trained pilot would be able to maneuver in time... :-)

The sad thing about Monday-morning quarterbacking is that it generally doesn't invoke startlement of a real-time event. Give two days, two hours, or even two minutes to think about it, of COURSE one can come up with superior responses to an emergency. But the real-time participant doesn't have that luxury; he or she has to assess and react NOW. The fact that all of Sully & Stiles' passengers and crew survived should essentially be the key factor.

I occasionally simulate the Impossible Turn in my Fly Baby (engine lost on climbout after takeoff) to see what kind of altitude loss I see. I include five seconds of YGTBSM! delay before starting the turn, specially to accommodate the surprise factor.

Ron Wanttaja

regardless of how Hollywood glamorize the movie, Sully goes down in history as the guy that applied inspired improvisation and made a heroic recovery. Can talk about everything that might have went wrong but the end result shows that something went right.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    regardless of how Hollywood glamorize the movie, Sully goes down in history as the guy that applied inspired improvisation and made a heroic recovery. Can talk about everything that might have went wrong but the end result shows that something went right.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    +2. Ironic. I get to have a meeting with internal audit today. Their perspective, much like accident investigators, is such a sterile, academic perspective. And many thrive on picking out faults to fill the report, despite whether or not the process accomplishes the intended result. But it is life.

And let's not forget that the Sully/Canada-Goose-population-growth-program-around-airliners story, must have some conflict or it wouldn't evoke emotion and sell tickets.
    Last edited by Low Pass; 08-25-2016 at 06:45 AM.
    Bryan

Houston