Thread: Project suggestions?

Project suggestions?

I'm thinking of building something out of wood. I have an RV-12, so this would be used on nice days for local low & slow cruising around, maybe an occasional burger or pancake run. I'm not interested in an ultralight, I'd like to be able to take my grandkids, wife or a Young Eagle passenger along. So far I'm looking at the Fisher Celebrity, but wondering if I have missed anything.

• Needs to be within LSA weight and performance parameters.
    • Needs to be able to carry a large pilot (5-11/250) and adult passenger.
    • I would prefer all wood construction.
    • I'd prefer a biplane with a classic or WWI appearance. Open cockpit is fine - preferable, in fact. Almost required. Not really interested in a Cub/Champ type. I'm not ruling out parasols.
    • Does not need to be aerobatic... though it wouldn't hurt.
    • Needs to be able to use a reliable engine that's obtainable and not a $30K radial. O-200, C65, VW, etc.
    • I would prefer something with a kit available, but plans building is not out of the question.

I know this seems like a tall order. I looked at the Airdrome WWI replicas and like them, but they're all either one-holers or have tiny little side by side cockpits. And I'm really liking the idea of a wood construction project. I've looked at a ton of other designs that either lack the useful load, are configured like a Cub/Champ, or are not even close to being LSA. The Celebrity is so far the only one I've found that meets my requirements, but I'm open to suggestions.

Look at the Pietenpol. Your size might require the Bill Rewey 1.1 size (10% bigger). Aircraft Spruce sells the kits.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...pol-air-camper

Banned
    You've got the right company but your criteria would suggest the Tiger Moth instead.

I thought about the Tiger Moth also, but talked with the guy from FFP at Airventure -- he said the Celebrity was a far better choice. Said the Tiger Moth wouldn't have the load and CG range required.

I'm a big guy and have considered the Pober Junior Ace as a low & slow. There's always a one at the Oshkosh workshops and I stop by to look. It's a 2 place side-by-side parasol. Looks like it would fit and be fun.
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck

Well, after some pretty extensive searching I'm leaning even more toward the Celebrity. It's got two seats so i can take the grandkids up. It's all wood, which is good since I already know how to use a saw and glue. It's got a reasonable useful load, and uses a reasonably available engine.

Has anyone here built one? I've got some questions I'd like to ask of someone who has actually built a Celebrity, not the guy selling them.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Plans on the way... work bench getting cleared off... band & table saws tuned up and cleaned... making room for wood storage. This should be fun.

How about a Bi-Baby (the biplane version of the Bowers Fly Baby)? Here's a link to some info:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/pix/biplane.html
    Cheers!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by WacoJoe View Post
    How about a Bi-Baby (the biplane version of the Bowers Fly Baby)? Here's a link to some info:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/pix/biplane.html
    Tempting, but only one seat.