Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AN Fittings

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    3D Digital models of AN fasteners are available in STEP format from the sources previously mentioned in this SolidWorks​ topic.
    If you have a commercial license of SW then go to: Tools > Options > System Options > Configure > Hole Wizard/Tools and choose ANSI inch and/or MIL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstaton View Post
    I am attempting to build a library of AN tube fittings, and am having a devil of a time finding properly dimensioned drawings. If anyone can point me to decent source, that would be a marvelous thing. TIA
    There has been a lot of good discussion here but nothing that points to a hard answer. Through my profession, I have access to commercially available CAD libraries and MIL specs that the home user does not. Having said that, the next best thing is to:
    1. Make a list of the families of AN parts to be created. This does not need to include dash numbers!
    2. Visit http://everyspec.com/ (yes, there are other sites that have the same information too)
    3. Search for the base part number (again no dash numbers, i.e. AN821)
    4. When the search results are returned do not select the newest file. Most, if not all, of these specs have been cancelled by the DoD. All the newest file will usually contain is a cancellation notice and a pointer to the industry group that is now supporting the spec that will happily sell you the latest copy for a fee. Choose one of the older specs as this will contain a generic drawing with a table of dimensions for each dash number.
    5. Collect the PDF versions of the specs and have fun building your CAD library of parts.
    6. DON'T FORGET TO SHARE!

Yes, you can used this approach to get the datasheet for practically every AN, MS, or NAS part.

Cheers,
    Kurt
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Kurt Flunkn; 08-22-2016 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Typo

Kurt -
    I found those, and they were somewhat helpful. Hard to read sometimes, due to age and poor copying processes, I suppose. Thanks!

While not an answer to the original question, http://www.discounthydraulichose.com...starterkit.htm

has some really nice wall charts that show a lot of information on shapes and thread types. Name:  StarterKit-2T.jpg
Views: 1667
Size:  57.1 KB

Also, JIC fittings are an industrial "equivalent" to AN fittings at usually less expensive prices. This handy little

magnetic ref chart is available cheaply on Ebay.

Name:  NPT 2.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  9.2 KB

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer
    Kurt -
    I found those, and they were somewhat helpful. Hard to read sometimes, due to age and poor copying processes, I suppose. Thanks!
    You may need to purchase the most common fittings you plan to use, then measure and model with the level of detail required for your purposes.

I too have been searching for AN/MS/NAS hardware to use in the SW Toolbox. To start with I'm looking for fasteners - bolts, nuts, screws, washers, etc. I've had a standard SW license for years and have repeatedly asked my vendor and SW Help to no avail. I've resigned myself to using the supplied inch-based hardware but I'd really like it to have the proper grip lengths and nomenclature, e.g. AN4-4A bolt instead of whatever they supply. You'd think that with Dassault being an aerospace manufacturer there would be a source for an aerospace hardware library.
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck

Check McMaster-Carr out. They have completely accurate models of all go their fasteners - including AN bolts and fittings.

Check McMaster-Carr out. They have completely accurate models of all go their fasteners - including AN bolts and fittings.
    The McMaster models are truly accurate and detailed. But there's no free lunch

Attached hereto a picture of a McMaster MIL spec bolt as opposed to a similar ANSI inch SW Toolbox model.

What is common to both?:
    1. They can both be imported (as STEP files) to your private fasteners library.
    2. They can both be used in your SW assemblies.
    3. As SW assembly components they can both be assigned Bill-Of-Materials Part Numbers/Catalog Numbers in any form you like (for example KUKU123, MYBolt_321, and even stranger names like AN4-44).
    4. They can both be assigned as many properties as you like within the SW model, like Material, Finish, Vendor name, Cost, Weight, etc., etc.

Major difference between the two:
    The top model in the picture requires 20+ times more compute power. Try putting 200 of these in your SW assembly. If you can live with this, all's well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

In the words of Robert Heinlein - TANSTAAFL.

Stumped again - the story of my life - I thought I invented the expression