Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Valdez STOL Competition Feedback

Happy Valdez STOL Competition Feedback

I am interested how many people have taken in the Valdez STOL Competition at Oshkosh. What did you like about it? What didn't you like about it? What would you recommend to make it more entertaining, informative, etc?

Thanks for your feedback.

Jughead

It was so nice to see something unique at OSH again! It would be nice to have a skilled commentator. I know that the pilots are all using differing techniques (tail up, tail down, etc), but why, and there are certainly more detailed variations that I miss.

Loved it! All of it. Every time they've come it's been one of the highlights of the year. Looking forward to this year as well.

I thought it was great. One of the best things I've seen in the airshow in a while. Missed the demo at the ultralight runway, but caught both days they did it from the big runway.

Keen9

I am pleased to announce that they have obtained an new commentator for this years show. The gentlemen has 19 years of very entertaining airshow experience, where he interacts extensively with the crowd and the performers. He also owns a C-170 that he routinely takes into very short backcountry locations, so you can expect a much more informative and educational narration experience this year.

I hope he uses the backcountry experience at OSH, and not the "entertaining" airshow experience. More "Whoh! Look at that folks!" is NOT needed. There's already waaaaaay too much of that coming out of the line of speakers during the airshows.

The relaxed commentary was fine. I'd just like more detailed info. Your audience is a bunch of interested pilots, not Joe Blow.

Quote Originally Posted by JugheadF15 View Post
    Keen9

I am pleased to announce that they have obtained an new commentator for this years show. The gentlemen has 19 years of very entertaining airshow experience, where he interacts extensively with the crowd and the performers. He also owns a C-170 that he routinely takes into very short backcountry locations, so you can expect a much more informative and educational narration experience this year.
    That is awesome!!!! But please educate him on NOT using buzzword.... I don't know what it would be but I swear if I hear the STOL equivalent of 'A prize from winning the Cold War' I am going to have a stroke. lol
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by keen9 View Post
    I hope he uses the backcountry experience at OSH, and not the "entertaining" airshow experience. More "Whoh! Look at that folks!" is NOT needed. There's already waaaaaay too much of that coming out of the line of speakers during the airshows.

The relaxed commentary was fine. I'd just like more detailed info. Your audience is a bunch of interested pilots, not Joe Blow.
    One of this gentlemen's strengths in his airshow narration history, was his very vast experience in nearly all types of aviation and a very very broad range of aircraft and operations. So I'm pretty sure you will like what he brings to this years show. His goal is to help put you "in the cockpit." He is not a stats and numbers type of guy that reads out of Jane's.

So are they going to get to demo at show center at all this year? The schedule has them stuck on the ultralight runway during all the listed appearances.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    So are they going to get to demo at show center at all this year? The schedule has them stuck on the ultralight runway during all the listed appearances.
    Ron, you say that as if it's a bad thing. Their demonstration at the ultralight runway is a far more intimate and up-close, highly detailed experience than show centre could ever produce for this kind of big skilled event.