Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is your Experimental Airworthy? I am being told the EAA has it wrong.

Hell, because it's a required placard, I have one in my single seat airplane.

It was easier to put it on the panel than argue.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I wonder how many folks that fly two seat experimental's when they take another non aviation person for a ride, tell these people they are climbing into a Non-airworthy airplane by definition of the FAA? In my eye's this should be part of the preflight when taking a second person on a ride in an Experimental. To not tell them this little tidbit of info is not doing a complete preflight with this person. IMHO.
    I don't think the FAR that covers operating an experimental aircraft says specifically that the passenger has to be told it's a "Non-airworthy airplane by definition of the FAA" rather they have to be advised of the experimental nature of the aircraft. Since it doesn't have to be a verbal advisory, a placard will suffice. Other FAA guidance covers the wording of the placard. Note they use the word "shall" meaning it's required.

§91.319 Aircraft having experimental certificates: Operating limitations.

(d) Each person operating an aircraft that has an experimental certificate shall—

(1) Advise each person carried of the experimental nature of the aircraft;

It's usually in the op lims as well...the specimen limitations has this entry:

...the following placard must be displayed in the aircraft in full view of all occupants: “PASSENGERWARNING—THIS AIRCRAFT IS AN EXPERIMENTAL LIGHT-SPORT AIRCRAFT AND DOESNOT COMPLY WITH FEDERAL SAFETY REGULATIONS FOR STANDARD AIRCRAFT.

However 8130.2H adds after that requirement the following

Note: This placard is not necessary for single-place aircraft.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 08-19-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Both placards are required. The "Experimental" placard has to have a minimum letter size of 2" (I believe). It only has to be in a location that is visible to the passenger as they enter the aircraft.

The smaller "warning" placard has to be in plain view of the passenger while seated, after entry.

Heck - we (my employer) had a B737 that was modified enough that *it* was placarded as an Experimental.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

The photo I posted was just inside the main boarding door of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner prototype. The doors also have EXPERIMENTAL stenciled over them.

I fly single seat and have never seen one of those place cards in any of the singles I have flown. Because its not required. I believe this is how we got to this point. The people I have been talking with all fly single seat. As mentioned single seat does not have to have this place card. Most of us who fly single seat never climb into a two seat. I don't anyway. In all these years I have taken one ride in a two seat EAB or experimental. But I do remember seeing that place card in that airplane.

I fly single seat and have never seen one of those place cards in any of the singles I have flown. Because its not required. I believe this is how we got to this point. The people I have been talking with all fly single seat. As mentioned single seat does not have to have this place card. Most of us who fly single seat never climb into a two seat. I don't anyway. In all these years I have taken one ride in a two seat EAB or experimental. But I do remember seeing that place card in that airplane.
    Not in mine, either, but I can understand Frank's point of view, in that sometimes it's easier to just go along.

Kinda like my Fly Baby's insurance carrier, which insists I carry $100,000 passenger liability coverage. I told them there wasn't a termite ALIVE that was worth 100 Gs.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 08-20-2016 at 10:51 AM.

OK, I've got us single-seat homebuilt pilots covered:
    Name:  placard.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  57.8 KB
    Ron Wanttaja

I'm thinking of coming up with a small passenger warning placard to put on the sides of the interplane struts:

THIS AIRCRAFT DOES NOT HAVE A PASSENGER SEAT. THIS DOES NOT COMPLY WITH FEDERAL AVIATION STANDARDS AND THE IDEA THAT YOU CAN LAY ON THE WING AND HANG ON TIGHT TO THIS STRUT IS ILL CONSIDERED.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Name:  passenger warning.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  62.5 KB