Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is your Experimental Airworthy? I am being told the EAA has it wrong.

It is every day, my friend, it is every day!

There is always "one more thing" to do on the aircraft, and something that needs looked at.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
    All I know is my E-AB was airworthy when I signed off it's last annual.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    It is every day, my friend, it is every day!

There is always "one more thing" to do on the aircraft, and something that needs looked at.
    So So true. Sounds like my airplane. Never finished.

Well he had it right. Pretty much what you want to write in your log book is what it says in the operating limitations.

FAA Definition of Airworthy can be found in 14 CFR 3.5. (follows is FAA Definition from the 14 CFR 3.5 link)
    (a) Definitions. The following terms will have the stated meanings when used in this section:Airworthy means the aircraft conforms to its type design and is in a condition for safe operation.

Because an Experimental Amateur Built aircraft does NOT have a type certificate (type design), the FAA will NEVER consider it to be airworthy according to their definition.

Most dictionaries will consider anything that is safe to fly airworthy.

Since everything I do in aviation is in accordance with FAA Regulations, Standards, Orders, and definitions; I will NEVER consider an Amateur Built Aircraft airworthy by the FAA definition but MAY consider it as in a condition for safe operation.

Please do not ask me to use my FAA A&P license to sign your log or testify in court stating that your Amateur Built aircraft is in an airworthy condition. I can understand someone that is NOT associated with the FAA saying it is airworthy because they are unfamiliar with the FAA definition.

Gary A. Sobek
    EAA Lifetime Member
    A&P, Homebuilder, Pilot

When once you have tasted flight,
    you will forever walk the earth
    with your eyes turned skyward,
    for there you have been,
    and there you will always long to return.
    - Leonardo da Vinci

I wonder how many folks that fly two seat experimental's when they take another non aviation person for a ride, tell these people they are climbing into a Non-airworthy airplane by definition of the FAA? In my eye's this should be part of the preflight when taking a second person on a ride in an Experimental. To not tell them this little tidbit of info is not doing a complete preflight with this person. IMHO.
    My son went for a flight or ride in a buddies two seat experimental. I explained all this to him before he ever climbed aboard. I wanted him to understand what it is he was climbing into. He had a blast on his ride.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I wonder how many folks that fly two seat experimental's when they take another non aviation person for a ride, tell these people they are climbing into a Non-airworthy airplane by definition of the FAA? In my eye's this should be part of the preflight when taking a second person on a ride in an Experimental. To not tell them this little tidbit of info is not doing a complete preflight with this person. IMHO.
    My son went for a flight or ride in a buddies two seat experimental. I explained all this to him before he ever climbed aboard. I wanted him to understand what it is he was climbing into. He had a blast on his ride.

Tony

This one was on a fairly large airplane I was aboard:

Does an Experimental that carries a passenger or a two seat, by regs have to have that wordage in the cockpit in view of the passenger? I thought the only thing needed was one that says Experimental.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Does an Experimental that carries a passenger or a two seat, by regs have to have that wordage in the cockpit in view of the passenger?
    Yes.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log