Thread: Building Zenith CH-650

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Building Zenith CH-650

After almost a year of doing the "spin-the-wheel-to-decide-on-a-kit" game (complete with two "missions" to Oshkosh to make up my mind), I ordered the plans, toolkit and rudder kit for a Zenith CH-650. The plans came yesterday, I'm expecting the tools and rudder kit today.

The journey begins...

Congratulations on getting started. Provide lots of details as I am about to do the same thing. I had been bouncing back and forth between buying a certified a/c and a kit and decided to go with the 650 as well
    Rick

Hurray!

Please, please show us your work as it goes!

Not only will it be an invaluable service to the building community, but it will help you by showing your work for comment. I saved myself a lot of trouble by having people tell me what I was doing wrong (and better ways of doing things).
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

If you do not have aircraft building experience to know right from wrong, I would strongly suggest taking an EAA weekend workshop on metal aircraft structural assembly to gain sufficient knowledge to do the work correctly. i recently purchased a partially completed Zenith 701 project and spent several months correcting mistakes of the previous builder who did not have aircraft experience and made many minor errors like not deburring enough and leavng sharp cornered cutouts with rough edges and riveting e/d errors.

I see you identify as living in the city. That covers 5 boroughs, so are you in an apartment or in a house with a garage, or building at an airport? Just curious because proximity to your kit has a big effect on your ability to stay "connected" to your project and progress.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Yes, I live in New York City. My wife and I share a studio apartment that is smaller than the average garage. But we have a house in Northeast Pennsylvania to which we escape on weekends and, that Is where my project is located.

I have a lot of experience building things, albeit not from sheet metal. I did several renovations on our house including the kitchen where I built the entire set of cabinets from scratch. I was also a Habitat for Humanity volunteer. I realize that this is, in many ways, different from working with sheet metal, but the experience taught me a lot about patience, analysis and attention to detail.

I did take the sheet metal workshop at Oshkosh last summer, so I did get my feet wet.