Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building Zenith CH-650

Hi Sam,

Yeah, I looked long and hard at the Sonex. The new B model addressed a lot of my concerns (mostly a bigger panel). In the end, it's almost too close to call. I think the deciding factor is that I wanted to use a Corvair for power and that road is well-travelled in the Zenith world. Another consideration is that if I decide I don't want a non-standard engine, the 650 supports both the O-200 and 0-235. I don't expect to make a final engine choice for a while and, frankly, it may have a lot to do with whatever comes my way.

Both aircraft are really great choices with strong support from both the factory and user communities.

I was at Oshkosh and was really smitten by the Sabrewing, a really beautiful airplane. I really wanted to build that one but as this is my first airplane, I was reluctant to be a pioneer.

I finally got started on the garage this weekend, by beginning the to lay out the foundation beams. I'm hoping to complete that and build the floor structure within the next couple of weekends, weather permitting.

I had a change in plans and ended up buying a built 601xlb. Still might want to build another, probably a 750 Cruzer. Good luck with the 650 builds

Good luck with the 601xlb! I was, initially, looking at buying a built 601/650.

I can certainly understand. realistically, my airplane is three years from flying, which is a good-sized chunk of my remaining flying years. I love building, it's so much fun. But if I want to fly, well, I might end up buying an airplane as well...

I still want to build another one. Now I can fly while I start a new build. Just have to save up some more for a kit...

Welcome to the tribe. I bought a 601XL quick build kit in 2006, and after the structural mod kit came out I purchased it and the newer canopy mod kit, but lost my enthusiasm to build and decided to buy a gently used 2008 AMD 601XLi-B last year so I could get flying. These are really great airplanes; they're fun to fly and are probably the most carefully vetted LSA design out there. I recently went through the process of changing the certification from S-LSA to E-LSA and took the Rainbow Aviation LSA Repairman - Inspection course, and can now maintain my airplane and perform the annual condition inspections.

Very nice! What engine are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkie View Post
    Very nice! What engine are you running?
    Continental O-200-A. It's basically the same engine I had on my '66 C-150 back in the day.

REALLY enjoying the 601 so far, and very happy to be currently flying. But I was out of flying for about 5 years, so I'd probably love anything that got me off the ground. Your AMD looks great, and I do wish I had an ELSA, as I've already taken the 16 hour course. I do have an A&P that's easy to work with on my inspection, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bps View Post
    REALLY enjoying the 601 so far, and very happy to be currently flying. But I was out of flying for about 5 years, so I'd probably love anything that got me off the ground. Your AMD looks great, and I do wish I had an ELSA, as I've already taken the 16 hour course. I do have an A&P that's easy to work with on my inspection, though.
    I had Brian Carpenter, the A&P/IA and DAR at Rainbow perform the inspection and do the S-LSA to E-LSA certification change paperwork. It cost $475, but will easily be worth it in the long run as I can now do my own maintenance, and after the conversion I took the 16 hour class and got my repairman-inspection certificate so I can perform my own condition inspections. The S-LSA to E-LSA change was pretty painless, and it didn't affect my insurance premium at all.