Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSA or Ultralight with best useful load?

LSA or Ultralight with best useful load?

As a private pilot with zero time in or around the ultralight community, what would be some examples of ultralights with the highest useful load, with full fuel?

Can I expect anything in this market to be able to carry 2 people and a few bags totalling 550# or so, and still have room for fuel, or am I just wishful thinking here? Speed is not important.

-Steve

My M-Squared will carry more than you can load on it or in it; but, it flies at 70 mph on a Rotax 912s. My wife and I and full fuel weigh in at 560. We carry our camping gear and don't get anywhere close to 1320 lbs. Check out M Squared aircraft online. I have the Sport 1000 with 100 horse Rotax. My wife and I love flying in it more than any other plane we have flown. Good luck and I hope you find something you like. At the other end of the spectrum the Remos has a suprising useful load.

Definition: In the US, an "ultralight" is defined as a single seat aircraft not exceeding 254 lbs empty weight, no more than 5 gallons fuel, and some other restrictions... and no pilot certificate required. If it has two seats, it's not an ultralight.

Two seat "ultralight like" aircraft are now classified as Light-Sport Aircraft, a classification that includes everything from 2 seat versions of ultralights through classic light planes like Cubs and Taylorcraft, up to newer planes like the current crop of expensive imported European plastic planes and the new Cessna 162.

The Allegro claims a full fuel payload of 590lbs with a cruise of 120mph.

ultralights are restricted to 254 lbs empty weight and 5 gallons of fuel there are other restrictions but I believe this is enough to answer your questions.

EAA Staff / Moderator Timm Bogenhagen's Avatar
    Steve,
    Check out the Quad City Challenger II. When built right and light with a Rotax 503 you can get a useful load of 550 lbs.
    http://quadcitychallenger.com/
    Timm
    Have Fun & Fly Safe!
    Timm
    EAA 379292
    MiniMAX 1600R
    Challenger II
    HiMAX - in progress

Two seat transportation?

Your first issue is the type of plane you want. In the USA ultralights are not practical transportation for one and illegal for two. In Europe, ultralights are similar to Light Sport Aircraft in the USA but have a lower maximum gross weight. For your purpose (in the USA) you want an LSA. This can be a factory built S-LSA, its cheaper cousin E-LSA, an experimental - amateur built (kit/plans/or original design) that meets the FAA Light-Sport definition in FAR 1.1, or one of the old certified planes that meets the same definition which includes some Champs, Luscombes, Cubs, and Ercoupes (and others?).

In general, LSA airplanes will carry two people over reasonable distances with very low fuel consumption and relatively low cost (when compared to similar planes of similar ages). These planes tend to have engines ranging from about 80 to 120 horsepower. The most popular engines are variations of Continental O-200, Lycoming O-235, Rotax 912 ULS, and Jabiru 3300. The Continental and Lycoming choices can be expected to weigh in around 100 pounds heavier than the Rotax or Jabiru so your useful load will change according to engine choice. You have over a hundred choices of newly manufactured S-LSA models and a large number of kit or plans built planes to choose from.

As a general rule, I would suggest you consider LSA as great day-trip planes for two adults but a little short of weight capacity for overnight trips. By the time you get loaded up with 2 average Americans and a full load of fuel you will probably find your baggage allowance will not support a long duration trip.

Good luck!

Paul
    Camas, WA

Goggles Check out the Highlander

If you like a high wing, you might want to consider the Just Aircraft "Highlander". It's a blast to fly, and it carries a terrific useful load. You can choose a nosewheel or a tailwheel (or you can switch back and forth). You can choose small wheels for on-airport landings or big tires for out in the bush. You can get one built by the factory, or you can build your own at the factory, or you can build one at your own shop. If you build, the factory folks are impressively helpful, and there's a great builder's forum.

The Highlander cruises about 100mph, and feels just right when you fly it. It gets off short, lands slow, and has excellent crosswind handling capabilities. Passengers love the view.

Here's the Just factory site: http://www.justaircraft.com

And here are some videos from Just dealer Steve Henry out in Idaho:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSEpHZp-Ra8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHXnQ...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeQP-H_31JQ

No, I don't work for Just. Yes, I'm building a Highlander, and the kit quality is excellent. Did I mention that the Highlander is absolutely wonderful to fly?

Take a look at the Savannah VGW. It is an all aluminum high wing and with a Rotax 912ULS at 75% power cruises at 96 MPH. Ninety foot ground roll, 21 gallons of fuel, and 479 pounds additional fuel with full fuel. (605 pounds useful load) This kit can be buuilt extremely quickly due to a high level of factory work. For example, the rudder cables come swaged with guides installed. I have the earlier version Savannah VG and baggage is limited to 45 pounds. That is enough for light camping gear and I cannot load it out of CG and stay within gross and baggage limits. It is also available completed as an S-LSA.
    Ralph

Harleykitplane.com..........read all headers!
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 11-11-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Fixed link.