Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Volunteering and Camping

When I volunteered a few years back, I got a parking pass after my first day. But I didn't really care. My real reward was being able to stand outside all day in the golden Wisconsin sun and fresh breezes (I sit in a cubicle all day), see many planes up close, see pilots' excitement they climbed out after arriving, and talking to some of the nicest, most knowledgeable people around.

When I have been flying in the show, I havent vounteered often since didnt feel I had the time. I often read about the need for volunteers, so this year asked when I checked in Mon, but they didnt want anyone except in the kitchen which is not where I'd be good at all. Might fix burgers or brats but not much more, dont know what all that rabbit food really is, nor much about cheese curds.
    I dont need a camping pass, had already bought my week pass, just thought I might help out with part of the public that has some questions. Maybe Ill try next year if I have free time. One year at Sun N Fun I was asked to help and they put me in parking planes, Ive been on the pilot side lots of times, but being on the flag side was a nervous time, but we didnt bang anything or anyone.

Come down to Vintage. We don't make people cook unless that's what floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Come down to Vintage. We don't make people cook unless that's what floats your boat.
    Can I fib about my Rallye's age and park in Vintage? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    Can I fib about my Rallye's age and park in Vintage? ;-)
    No, but you're free to come work and hang out with us.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    No, but you're free to come work and hang out with us.
    That works.

Ron, tell me the pros vs. cons of Vintage camping with my plane compared to the North 40. How fast does the Vintage airplane camping area fill up?

Well if you have a 1970 or earlier model, you're allowed to camp in Vintage. Vintage is "in the show" so that's a plus and a minus. I consider it a plus. A majority of Vintage camping is such that you can hear the PA (another plus and minus). THe minus is that it's further away from the stuff off-field on the north end.

If you're a Vintage member, you get a photo plaque and a glass mug for participating.

Up until this year, I would say officially Vintage NEVER closed up. This year we transiently closed up Sunday afternoon/evening, but by Monday afternoon, we had departures and we started backfilling those spots.

With my L16 I could park in the "L" War Birds area but it's so remote from the 'action' I prefer to park in vintage.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

It's not uncommon for warbirds and older homebuilts to prefer to camp in Vintage. The guy in the red flightsuit did...

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    With my L16 I could park in the "L" War Birds area but it's so remote from the 'action' I prefer to park in vintage.
    Attached Images Attached Images