Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volunteering and Camping

Volunteering and Camping

So I am a new member and new private pilot in 2016, and I think I have found my passion. My wife and I attended Airventure for the first time this year and would like to volunteer next year and maybe come a week or so early to volunteer with the prep then stay through the end volunteering each day some.

So a couple questions: First off, who do we contact to volunteer that early. Second is on camping for that long, we have a motorhome and would be coming in that, so is there a reduced rate for being there while volunteering that long?

Have not not found too much in the forum that was current, so we would love to hear about experiences coming in early to volunteer.

Thanks in advanced

You have to put in 40 hours to receive a camping pass and weekly band for the following year. So you will be paying full ride next year. Some jobs are a bit looser than others (I have volunteered in 3 or 4 different locations over the years). And the campground opens up about a month early, so you will pay in advance whatever date you arrive until the end of the show. If you leave early you can get a camping refund for the days you don't use prior to the end of the show. Hope that helps. Glenn
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

We have volunteers in Vintage Flight Line for a substantial time before the show. You just show up at our operations building (diagonally across from the hangar cafe). We train new and returning volunteers alike twice a day (9 and 1 and possibly others) each day.

As pointed out, your wristbands/camping perks are issued based on the PREVIOUS years work.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 08-11-2016 at 08:33 AM.

Good question and I too have been wondering so I did some further checking around. Here is what I learned from Theresa and also the volunteer building.

As mentioned it's based off of the prior years work
    You need to put in 60 hrs.
    Even with the 60 hrs the chair person that you report to when volunteering has to agree to it
    It's for basic camping only. No water / electric. If you want water / electric you pay the difference.

I'm not sure if there are other restrictions. No one person seems to have the answer on this. I wish it would be clearly posted somewhere. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Agent View Post
    So I am a new member and new private pilot in 2016, and I think I have found my passion. My wife and I attended Airventure for the first time this year and would like to volunteer next year and maybe come a week or so early to volunteer with the prep then stay through the end volunteering each day some.

So a couple questions: First off, who do we contact to volunteer that early. Second is on camping for that long, we have a motorhome and would be coming in that, so is there a reduced rate for being there while volunteering that long?

Have not not found too much in the forum that was current, so we would love to hear about experiences coming in early to volunteer.

Thanks in advanced
    Hello!

Welcome to our EAA family and congrats on becoming a private pilot! For general volunteer questions feel free to reach out to hr@eaa.org or visit our website for all volunteer opportunities at AirVenture: https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/volunteer...enture-oshkosh.

Camping does open 1 month in advance, so that will be no issue!

If you have any other questions, let me know!

It used to be that each organization lobbied for their own volunteer perks and had to parcel out what they received which led to a lot of disparity between who got what. I think the EAA standardized things a few years ago so that everybody who puts in 60 (provided it is accurately reported, and boy we keep multiple copies of the volunteer hours and bring them back with us the next year to resolve disputes) get credentials.

This year, I didn't even have to hunt down the chairman. My "comped" camping credentials were already registered in the computers (just put in my EAA # and it came up $0 due). Further, you could get them at any camping registration booth on site (there's at least four, probably more). Wristbands I still had to chase down the chairman.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian247028 View Post
    Good question and I too have been wondering so I did some further checking around. Here is what I learned from Theresa and also the volunteer building.

As mentioned it's based off of the prior years work
    You need to put in 60 hrs.
    Even with the 60 hrs the chair person that you report to when volunteering has to agree to it
    It's for basic camping only. No water / electric. If you want water / electric you pay the difference.

I'm not sure if there are other restrictions. No one person seems to have the answer on this. I wish it would be clearly posted somewhere. Hope this helps.
    60 hours??? Is that new? It has always been 40. The one gripe I have with the way EAA treats it's volunteers is if a person (or couple) volunteer several hours, but not meet the minimum, they get nothing, sad.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

OK; I've held off until now, because although EAA methods sometimes irk me, all in all I'm thankful for an organization that has given me such enjoyment and reward.

Volunteer tracking and reward leaves so much to be desired.

A few years ago, I was a volunteer working one of the "out-buildings" close to the N40. The shack "lead" told me that I didn't need to go back to the main building at the end of my shifts to sign-out due to the distance. I think I worked 4 days that year, so about 16 hrs. At the end of the year, I didn't receive my volunteer patch, so I wrote the volunteer coordinator at HQ. She wrote back that I had registered, but never served. That kinda torqued me, but she did send a patch. I sent an email to the two chairmen and they said they'd look into it.

Secondly, I really don't like the "pay ya NEXT year" for your volunteer hours, but I understand the logistics of why. However, as I mentioned, I don't view volunteering as my full-time Convention job, but I enjoy volunteering most of my days on-site (fly commercial, stay in dorms). I do also want to see the exhibits, go to lunch with buds I only see at Convention, etc. I understand that many volunteers DO work 40-60 hrs, and that's their prerogative.

My concern is that we buy a weekly wristband, in advance, and even if I only had to buy 5 days instead of 7, those 5 days are still more $$$ than a weekly band. So I've NEVER received a wrist band, or pushed to get my (?) two. I don't volunteer just to be comp'd, so I'll continue, but the current protocols are the proverbial rock in the shoe.

Perhaps HQ can put some study in to forming TWO classes of volunteers - those who essentially work full-time and deserve the best comps, and the rest of us schlubs who volunteer most days, but not full-time. How 'bout something like a discount off the weekly band, or some passes to receive a free brat and beverage? Even something like a REAL dollars-off coupon for EAA merchandise (gee - that EAA member discount only appears to be valid for stuff I'd never buy....).

Lastly, many of the "fun" volunteer spots are part of a good 'ol boys club. One cannot just walk up and announce that you'd like to volunteer. They're fully booked and don't solicit walkup volunteers. That said, there are THOUSANDS of available slots that go unfilled - if you don't care where you work.

Don't get me wrong. I volunteer just about every year, and look forward to it. I sincerely thank those full-timers who make it all happen. The hours you put in during and before/after Convention to make it all happen are appreciated.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Thanks everyone for the insite. I completely understand the wristband/camping gets comped for next year during the event, make sense to me. Where I think I don't understand is needing to pay camping when getting there early so we can volunteer when nothing else is going on. That part has me scratching my head, as there really is no reason to go early except to volunteer. During the event, yup, got it applies to next year, but pay more to help out early, I'm thinking that's a no go for me.

Many people go early to secure a good spot. Some hang out without volunteering. Some even abandon their camp site and go home to return later on.

Suffice it to say it would be ripe for abuse any other way. As it is, we have people who show up to be trained to get their volunteer credentials (gets them food and some other volunteer support perks) without actually doing any subsequent work. Fortunately, since we went to computerized time records, it's easier to catch those that do this multiple times.

Most of the hard core early arriving volunteers are repeat volunteers and hence they've been rolling forward free camping credentials year to year.