Thread: Oshkosh 2018

Oshkosh 2018

I have a plan to visit Oshkosh with my aircraft in 2018 but have hit a snag which I hope can be solved by the members of the various forums which I shall plague with a shotgun approach to posting in my search for advice.
    I am a British Citizen with an ICAO compliant private pilot’s licence and medical. My aircraft is registered in the UK and operates under a Light Aircraft Association Permit to fly. For our American friends consider that similar to Experimental Homebuilt with somewhat tighter oversight. The aircraft is a Tipsy Nipper – a single engine (VW derivative) single seat aircraft with a max take off weight of 330Kg (726 lbs).
    The snag involves insurance. I’ve been a member of the Experimental Aircraft Association for about 40 years so I approached the insurers that feature on the EAA website for cover whilst in the USA. They will only consider N registered aircraft. My UK policy covers me throughout Europe but cannot be extended to the USA. So how do I get 3rd party and hull cover for the US sector of this trip? I’d self insure for the hull if necessary, a value of ~ £13000 / $17000.
    I know that foreign nationals flying foreign registered aircraft have visited Oshkosh, and that gliders are regularly shipped worldwide so it must be possible.
    Shipping seems reasonably sensible, though costly (there’s a surprise). The LAA seem quite happy to make arrangements for rigging the aircraft on arrival and subsequent maintenance. So the first problem where I’ve drawn a blank has been this insurance issue. Any advice is welcomed.

Jim
    LAA002559
    EAA97006

There is no US requirement for Insurance. Lots of US Aviators fly "commando." (I hope that translates into the Queen's English.). Hope to see you at Osh!

Good point. You might try Gallagher Brokers (formerly Nationair Insurance), been with them for years and have always had great luck with them.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    There is no US requirement for Insurance. Lots of US Aviators fly "commando." (I hope that translates into the Queen's English.).
    Usual euphemism I hear is "Flying bare" (not covered).

Ron "$180/year with Falcon" Wanttaja

I don't think it would be difficult to purchase insurance through one of the US insurance companies while you are here.

As pointed out, no US requirement to have any insurance, not even liability. Occasional grumbling from the legal community to change that, but nothing on the horizon yet. Still you may want to have some. I'd start with a good broker (not necessarily the EAA). If that doesn't work try AVEMCO.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    As pointed out, no US requirement to have any insurance, not even liability. Occasional grumbling from the legal community to change that, but nothing on the horizon yet.

Yeah Ron, and if it ever becomes a requirement, you can bet it will atleast double. Because the insurance companies will know you HAVE to have it.

Do it, I wanna see the Tipsy Nipper in person!