Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to obtain license for SolidWorks Electrical?

How to obtain license for SolidWorks Electrical?

I'm loving this EAA benefit! I've installed Solidworks...but can't find a way to add SolidWorks Electrical Design.

Can you help me out with how to download this option of the program as well?

Thanks,
    Howard

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    I'm not sure, but it's possible that the original download already includes SW Electrical and it just needs activation.
    Try going to Tools > Add-Ins

If it's been downloaded and installed then it should be in the list of Add-Ins (probably called "Circuitworks").
    If it's there then just check the box next to it. If not then I don't know how to download it.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for the try Jeff...but that doesn't work for me. I only have the SolidWorks Student Edition product registered...nothing else shows up. Hopefully someone else may find a way to install the SolidWorks Electrical Design.

It sure would be a nice add-on to include! I have plenty of electrical diagrams for my GlaStar I'd like to refresh using it.

Howard

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer
    Quote Originally Posted by hplevyak View Post
    I'm loving this EAA benefit! I've installed Solidworks...but can't find a way to add SolidWorks Electrical Design.

Can you help me out with how to download this option of the program as well?

Thanks,
    Howard
    It looks like SolidWorks Electrical is not part of the Student Design Kit download.

https://forum.solidworks.com/externa..._Matrix_LB.pdf

Hi Howard,

I'd be interested to know what exactly you would have done with SW Electrical if you had been able to install and use it.
    If it was for 3D cable routing then there are several workarounds that you can use - they're not as elegant as SW routing per se, but for your one-time personal use they may be good enough.
    (For clarity sake, I mean workarounds within SolidWorks, using the standard modeling tools.)
    Last edited by Jeffrey Meyer; 08-06-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Jeff,
    I would like to use the SolidWorks Electrical Schematic design package. I wouldn't need it for use within SolidWorks (e.g., cable routing). I'm currently using OmniGraffle to create all my electrical schematics. It works ok, but I have to build all my own symbols.

I have a 1 pager "Overview Full Aircraft electrical system schematic", then a one pager for each piece of equipment wired to the buss (e.g., EFIS, EIS, GPS, Comm/NAV radios, clock, AoA, engine preheat, etc.). This is a technique I learned from Bob Knuckoll's AeroElectric connection book.

It's a great reference for debugging elecrical gremlins years after the build has completed. Anytime I have an issue, I review the overview schematic, then pick up the one page equipment schematics...and can easily see how the airplane is wired to debug, wire labels, connections, and reference to a Excel spreadsheet for DSub pin assignments.

It sure would be a nice feature to add as part of the EAA benefit. I think many many of our members would see value in using it. Check out the video at the link below.

https://www.solidworks.com/sw/produc...electrical.htm

Howard

Howard,

Yep, it sure looks like a great piece of software for the electrical side.
    Unfortunate that it's apparently not included in the member benefit .

At the announcement the Dassault folks, indicated that they would be open to this. They see the demand. You might have to wait. It would make another announcement next year as big thing. Here's hoping they don't wait that long. There seems to be great demand for the current config. Let this roll out and in a couple of months check back.

I am sure you will see SW electrical in the near future available.

Hi, is there any update to adding the Electrical Schematics package since the last post?

Hi Katie,
    I've not heard any more news on the Electrical Schematics package. I was able to obtain a two week trial license...and I think it would one spectacular enhancement to the core benefit that EAA & SolidWorks are providing to us! Electrical design and especially documentation of the aircraft electrical schematics are an area that many of us fall short on. Imagine the safety improvement alone if we could develop a set of schematics that could be shared across our EAA membership! I sure hope Jeff can provide some news.
    Howard