Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Installation FAQs

Sorry for the delay in responding. Please confirm via email if any of the solutions I recommended via phone work. In the meantime, I will check the log file you send for a probable cause.

Quote Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
    Just started the download/install process. Got the 1st ~20meg batch of install files. When I clicked on 'sldIM.exe', I was given 4 choices: individual, Administrative image, server products, and 'download and share all files'.

I'd like to install on both my home desktop and my shop desktop (both on the same LAN). Anyone know which type of install to pick?

I registered with my new number. Did the lengthy download. When I try to run the software I get a message concerning the SQL Server. I don't understand what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrie Caudill View Post
    I registered with my new number. Did the lengthy download. When I try to run the software I get a message concerning the SQL Server. I don't understand what that means.
    Do you have an error code? Can you email the install log so I can check errors? Installation logs are typically here: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\SOLIDWORKS\Ins tallation Logs

Quote Originally Posted by 68Statesman View Post
    I installed Solidworks following the instructions, however the applications I received on m desktop was "Solidworks Composer" and "eDrawings". As far as I can tell, Solidworks Composer doesn't permit creating any drawings, only viewing drawings that have been previously created. Was "Composer" that application I was supposed to have received?
    Thanks for any help here..
    I am having the same issue. I have installed SW. I see nothing that allows me to create any drawings. Please advise.

Hi,
    I'm new here, not entirely new to solidworks or to computers<grin>
    Long story short, I have a Toshiba P775 laptop that slid off the hood of the car.
    I have replaced it with a used P875 that I am now trying to install solidworks on.
    I'll emphasize that, it is USED via e-bay so I don't know its history.

A couple of symptoms;

a) I had the pre filled license numbers issue, which seemed strange given that there were no solidworks programs in the menu, no solidworks folders in program files, etc.
    Not sure which of the tips got me through that, but it seems to be fixed now.
    b) The suggested port isn't recognized, a requester pops up asking if I want to continue anyway - I do, so I try to.
    c) It then says that a lot of required files are missing - I assume these are pre-reqs, but haven't seen anything detailing what they are or how to install whatever pre-req they are part of.
    The first of these is the apisdk, I think on one occasion I got to a point where the installer program suggested that I could browse for a folder containing those files, on a different attempt it said that I needed a DVD of the whole solidworks distribution - which I assume is more than one DVD, but it didn't indicate which one (of n).

In view of a) above I suspect that solidworks may have been installed on this disk previously and that there is some "residue" lingering.
    QUESTION:
    Is there a "purge all trace of solidworks" program that will fix up registry entries and whatever else may be lurking ?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Last edited by R_B; 12-30-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Puuri View Post
    If you have had SOLIDWORKS installed on this computer before, chances are, you have the old activation key appearing. Key in the new one from the email from DS SolidWorks and you should be good to go.
    I am on a USED computer, is there a way to delete all solidworks serial numbers and/or activation keys, registry entries, etc. to ensure a CLEAN START ?

I don't know the history of this machine, but there were no solidworks programs on the start menu and no solidworks folders in Program Files.
    I did not check the registry before attempting this EAA installation of solidworks.

In an attempt to remove any traces of previous installations I brought up the installer and unchecked every product, it still wanted to install 35 Meg of files, but couldn't get them because it couldn't use the suggested port.

I really want to NOT wipe the hard drive and re-install windoze10, but if I have to then I will.
    Last edited by R_B; 01-01-2020 at 09:32 AM.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    I'm no expert on Windows 10 but maybe this will help:

Before you do something drastic (like re-installing W10), try going into the registry editor (regedit) and choose Edit>Find>solidworks​.
    Delete the first entry regedit finds and then press Fn/F3 to find the next instance and repeat. There are quite a lot!! (I found about 50 before I stopped looking) But sometimes they appear under folders that you can delete all-at-once.

Having said that I've never been in your situation before, I've never done the above suggestion before, and I'm not even sure it will work. So let me know the result before you call your solicitor

Regards, Jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Meyer View Post
    I'm no expert on Windows 10 but maybe this will help:

Before you do something drastic (like re-installing W10), try going into the registry editor (regedit) and choose Edit>Find>solidworks​.
    Delete the first entry regedit finds and then press Fn/F3 to find the next instance and repeat. There are quite a lot!! (I found about 50 before I stopped looking) But sometimes they appear under folders that you can delete all-at-once.

Having said that I've never been in your situation before, I've never done the above suggestion before, and I'm not even sure it will work. So let me know the result before you call your solicitor

Regards, Jeffrey

Thanks,
    I have done similar things with regedit in the past.
    BTW since my last post I got a copy of a hacked/pirated version of solidworks to see what registry additions/deletes/changes their hack made.
    There were a couple that didn't seem DIRECTLY solidworks relevant, so for the time being I have left them. These might be their clever way of hiding their hack, but I want to understand them better before deleting them.
    Of course SOME of the SW registry entries may be from my failed attempts to install the eaa version, so not only do I have a slate that isn't clean, I don't know how much of it is mine.
    I do know that registry corruption can be a very bad thing, so stepping lightly is wise.

I might just buy another hard drive, install W10 (or 7) on it and KNOW that I have a clean system. 1TB SSD laptop drives are around $100 now (in the USA) and the performance improvement alone could be worth that.
    Solving this still holds a little academic interest, but there will come a point where I run out of patience and decide to make it work <grin>
    Besides, hacking on hacks, however good the intention, could draw the wrong kind of attention.

SOLIDWORKS has an advanced removal option that cleans up any SOLIDWORKS registry edits. Try this:

1. Uninstall the current version of SOLIDWORKS running on your computer by opening Add or Remove Programs, and on the Summary Change the Advanced Options and check all boxes (i.e., Registry Edits, Data Files and Folders, and Download Files and Folders).