Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Installation FAQs

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
    Can we only install SW2020 with this license? I have some existing files in SW2021 that I'd like to access.
    I installed in January of this year and it put in Solidworks 2020 r3. I have run into a bug or two that are fixed in later versions of 2021, but can't seem to find a way to update the software under the license we have. Is there a way to get the latest version?

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    My limited experience with the student edition is that it is published with a kind of "phase lag" of about half a year (or maybe even a full year) relative to the commercial version. So if I were you I would update my expectations rather than the software.

BTW, I would be interested in knowing details of the "bug or two" if you are prepared to share?!

Jeffrey

Trying to update to 2021, I got this message: "Your Serial# does not entitle you to SOLIDWORKS 2021".

Shouldn't we be able to updade to newer versions as long as we renew our membership with the EAA?
    Is this "one time install and get stuck with the version you got" type of deal?

I don't remember seeing a "grace period" for EAA version of the Student Edition. Are students not allowed to update to a never versions as long as they are students? Are they also stuck with the version they first installed?

Please enlighten me. Thank you.
    Regards

Once again, installation issues are not my forte, but I know that you are not "stuck" with the version you installed. As I said in my last post the Student edition lags behind the commercial edition so if you want the 2021 version, either buy it or or wait until 2022 when, after you upgrade your membership of EAA, you can uninstall your 2020 Student edition and install the 2021 edition.
    By the way, I seriously doubt you will notice any significant benefits (for you) from installing the 2021 version vs the 2020 version.

For me, the only benefit would be the "curved edge flange" feature, that became available in 2021 version.
    Thanks for clearer explanations.

Can you live without the "curved edge flange" feature for a few months?

In the vast majority of cases ( I would even gamble on saying "always") there's a work-around: In the meantime maybe you can use a "swept boss" feature?
    Last edited by Jeffrey Meyer; 05-28-2021 at 04:23 AM.

Thanks for the suggestion (do you mean Swept Flange, or, Swept Surface? Couldn't find "Swept Boss"). I've already tried different features and extended both ends of the curved middle section of the sheet metal (which was converted from an extrusion). However, none of the solutions blend with the curved sheet. As a result, when I "Flatten" it, only the original sheet flattens. The extended ends stay curved. Tried to convert those too to Sheet Metal unsuccessfully. That's why I needed the new "curved edge" feature. With that, I thing the curved additions would be directly recognized as "Sheet Metal" and the whole sheet would "Flatten" as expected.

If you know a walk around for this, please let me know. If this is not your area of expertize, please redirect me. Thank you.

Can't say I understand what you're trying to do. Try Insert>Boss/Base>Sweep... or you can find Swept Boss under Help with detailed explanations on how to use it.

Also, could you share some geometry or screen shots to help us/me understand and possibly suggest a solution?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Jeffery Meyer!!

Your title says your the volunteer, and I feel bad about adding to your list of woes, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I've had many installation errors, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled to the point of I can't down load the program anymore. (It won't recognize the license as I needed to clean up the registry.)

Would you know whom I could contact next, please?

Thank you!!!

Hi Floyd,

(Hope you don't mind my inferring your name from your username)
    The answer "No" is always better than the answer "don't know", so for the moment my answer to your question is "No, I don't know someone to contact".

But...

Following your post I've privately contacted someone who might know someone who might know something about something ...
    My contact is out of the office for a few days, so I'll get back to you when I get a mite more knowledgeable.

Jeffrey