Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legal Aviation Question

In light of the other comments, let me clarify a bit. 1. Aviate, navigate, communicate, in that order. When clear of the runway and stopped, then you can chat with the controller. 2. If you go around at a controlled airport, you really should tell the tower what you are doing as soon as it is safe to do so. 3. Yes, you own the runway, but if you are doing something other than what you were cleared to do with that runway, you should tell the tower. As a matter of courtesy, all of these apply at non-towered airports too. I repeat, there is no excuse for rude or unprofessional behavior from the tower. You know, it is all recorded -- if you ever wanted to make an issue of the unprofessionalism.

The WHAT is the important part -- so he can give appropriate instructions to other traffic. E.g., someone else might be on final approach that now must go around. WHY could be important (a sinkhole just opened up at the departure end of the runway; wandering buffalo; use your imagination.) if not, then it can wait...probably until you want another take-off clearance, anyway.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Don't lie.

Nobody rejects takeoff because everything is right. "Stand by." Followed by "I rejected because I wasn't sure if there was a problem. I've checked it out, request ..........." and then "Thanks for your assistance."

Your mileage may vary.

lol, I dunno what all the adversarial response was about. This flying stuff is supposed to be fun. If it gets too stressful I'd take up golf or something.

Chris, when I had a moment and was not fully busy, I did tell the tower that I was off at exit 1. Of course they could see that, hundred yard in front of them. And there was no other traffic on final approach and if there had been I was off the runway in the parking area almost as soon as if I had made a full takeoff. I closed the throttle befrore the mid point of takeoff.
    I spoke to an aviation attorney who said there is no FAR or legal obligation to give a reason for rejecting takeoff. A person at EAA told me that their local tower may have the practice of asking the pilot, and he knows of one case where a pilot with an homebuilt and Rotax engine, ( not the case here) was given a hard time by the tower who tried unsucccesfully to make a case that the pilot was not maintaining the engine correctly.
    Here, I just think it is a controller who is nervous, we do get a lot of jet traffic, ( the Clintons were just here,etc) and he overeacts.
    His voice, tone and timing get so stressed that its like he is trying to pass that to the pilot.
    By contrast, the guys at Osh are so good, that even in the busiest of times, they are encouraging not combative.

PS Marty, I have played golf, grew up around champions in the family. Its not easy, but if you miss a 3 foot put no controller comes on demanding to know why. Flying is a lot easier than golf and like skiing a lot more fun.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-05-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Gotcha Bill. Last time I aborted a takeoff was at work and the speed at which it was initiated necessitated a lengthy written report and conference call with the chief pilot. I think I'd find a controller asking me why I aborted a takeoff in my 177 with no further action as refreshingly simple.

Bill, I assume your coming out of Aspen, been there many time in years past.
    You could tell him something as simple as the door popped open, or something you just wanted to check out on the ramp.
    Don't worry about anything, you did nothing wrong.

I spoke with another aviation attorney at AOPA. He said that I was given a clearance, to takeoff, and I did deviate from that, however the legal point as per FAR is I only have to inform ATC that I deviated, and I did Thatwhen I said I was pulling off the runway at A1. No further legal obligation to explain anything to a controller. Sounds right to me.. A local CFI says he aborted recently when power gauge looked wrong, and tower did ask him mostly the same thing.
    I do wish there was always a friendly and cooperative feeling with ATC here, which is sometimes not the case. Wish everywhere was like Oshkosh as for pilots and controllers. I was listening Sun afternoon to the guy at Fisk who was really busy, but really positive and seemed like someone youd like to know, not someone who antagonizes toward private pilots and/or his job.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-05-2016 at 02:20 PM.

I can see where confusion may arise if a plane is cleared for takeoff and pilot taxis down runway and exits without reporting what he is doing to ATC. Based on the P/CG, something like "N1234 ABORT" would be adequate notification that pilot will not comply with the previously issued clearance. Being somewhat important, I'd offer that to ATC as soon as time and workload permit (taxi speed and aircraft under control). Otherwise, I would expect a "say intentions" call from ATC as they have no idea what the pilot is doing.

The usual conversation I have gotten after calling abort is "do you need any assistance" "say intentions" and nowadays there is the "can you provide a reason for the abort?" That last is always a question, not a demand.

If ATC thinks pilot deviated from FARs pretty sure they would provide a "Brasher Notification" especially since the aircraft is still on the ground (that's were they notify of possible pilot deviation and advise pilot to contact the appropriate ATC facility via phone number they provide). At any rate, if it just doesn't feel right, can always file a NASA ASRS form about the incident if the time period has not expired.

Tell 'me you've got a bee in the cockpit.

The pilot in command can reject a takeoff for any reason. Don't over think it and let ATC wait.

Wes
    N78PS

"Nieuport 2GV clear runway 21; forgot to pee as part of pre-flight."

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.