Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Legal Aviation Question

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    para (b) and (c) of 91.3 only apply to aircraft in-flight. I would think definition of aborted takeoff plane never becomes airborne.
    Not really. That is, the practical impact of 91.3a covers all operations, not just when airborne.

Good point regarding what - who - is the Administrator. FAR 1.1 states that "Administrator means the Federal Aviation Administrator or any person to whom he has delegated his authority in the matter concerned." As it's been explained to me, that could include a controller. In any case, only a written report is required.

Add one more to the list! I was flying into ATL this afternoon and the plane in front of us went around when they were on short final at ~400'
    When ATC was handing them off to the approach controller, he asked the reason for the go-around. Not demanding or rude, just an inquiry. I thought about this thread and wondered how many would object to such a question?? I thought the airline crew handled it quite professionally.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Add one more to the list! I was flying into ATL this afternoon and the plane in front of us went around when they were on short final at ~400'
    I was riding with Delta back before I put them on my no-fly list. We had departed for TPA late, and as we neared the airport, the captain announced that we had been cleared for a visual aproach, and that that would allow us to make up some lost time. He flew a really tight pattern, with steaper than usual turns. We were way too high and fast, and crossed the threshold in a position from which we could not land from. The captain powered up to go around, and announced, "We are having to go around, because, er .. ah .. a small plane pulled out on the runway in front of us."

I was not in a rush, so I waited to be the last passenger to get off. The captain and the FO were standing up front thanking passengers. I paused, and said to the captain, "Small plane?" He immediately turned red, and looked down. The FO was doing everything that he could to supress a snicker.

BJC

How very disappointing from the Delta captain. And how did he learn to fly? He undermined general aviation to all of his passengers. I also wonder what else he lies about -- at least with regard to aviation safety.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

An airline captain admitting that he'd blown a visual approach would be met with a shrug or a chuckle by you or I or most other pilots. Some passengers would freak out, it's almost certain someone would file a complaint with Lord-only-knows-who, and even some pilots would be jerks about it.

I'd have blamed some other imaginary obstruction.