Thread: Whose A Hero?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Whose A Hero?

The news is full of stories about who is or not a war hero. I'd like to offer a few thoughts on this:
    1.The least obligation to returning soldiers is adequate VA type care, medical care if needed and perhaps a pension for disabilities. These days it seems there are more devastating and lifelong injuries than in the past. Some may need employment training or assistance if they are unable to return to former jobs. A friend tells me that VA hospital care is good, but takes month to get an appointment.
    2. Being captured in no way negates who is a hero. The Doolittle Raiders were certainly heroic despite a few being captured. I dont know where the line is when one becomes a hero, perhaps it is doing something extraordinary especially to help or rescue fellow soldiers. It probably is not just serving. I was in the military, and dont even consider myself a vet. If it was a different war, a different time, who knows.
    3. Most of all, we should consider our young men and now young women, a precious resource and not to be foolishly or callously wasted in some war that could and should have been avoided. War must be thought of as the last option. Sometimes it may be necessary, but if I was Pres I'd find the worst part of the job sending other people's kids into danger especially that I had not faced myself.
    If I was thinking about war heroes, I'd include not just a great fighter pilot or soldier, but Pres Kennedy who used good judgement, patience, and negotiation to avoid what could have been a major war over Cuba. We are a strong economy and trading partner and one day soon maybe American tourism may bring Starbucks and even Wisconsin cheese to Havana. The American tourism dollar is a weapon in peace.
    4. Just honoring our fallen soldiers on a holiday or at a public event is good, but we should never lose sight that some parents have lost the most precious thing they had, and resolve that it should always be only when necessary, and for a just cause.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-03-2016 at 10:35 AM.