Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Activation key problem ...

Activation key problem ...

Has anyone else downloaded the program and unable to install because they have not received the Activation Key? I have been waiting for the email with the key but I seem to have dropped through the crack somehow. There also seems to be no link to any download support on there website.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you correct the situation?

Thanks

Tom

Yes, I had the same problem. I tried an @yahoo.com email address and an @gmail.com address and never got an email with a serial number. I finally tried my work email (@_.edu) and then got a message with a serial number. I don't know if they're filtering out common commercial email providers. I also wonder if there's an issue with having DraftSight (their free 2D program) already registered with them.

We own a couple different online businesses, and we have no end of problems with customers using free email services not receiving our emails, including order & shipping confirmation emails from both us & UPS. Yahoo, Gmail, & Hotmail are the worst.

ddoi, Thanks for the insight. I used my work e-mail and got my key "instantly". Now I can't get it to install. I keep getting a C++ install error. I will hopefully get that ironed out tonight. It stinks that the "Student" version we are gifted with does not allow "ANY" support from their tech support.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    I think it's not unreasonable that there is no tech support for the student/educational version considering that they have to pay a whole team to sit next to the telephone and answer such tech questions from paying customers.
    But all is not lost!! That's what this forum is for. For example, while I can't support any installation problems (because I don't know how the licensing has been set up), I can answer most tech issues with modeling and drafting.
    Try me - I may even be able to help with some of the engineering issues

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer
    Quote Originally Posted by wellnow1101 View Post
    ddoi, Thanks for the insight. I used my work e-mail and got my key "instantly". Now I can't get it to install. I keep getting a C++ install error. I will hopefully get that ironed out tonight. It stinks that the "Student" version we are gifted with does not allow "ANY" support from their tech support.
    What is the C++ error? Post a screen shot.

You can also register for an account on the SolidWorks website and access their forums. There is likely an answer there to the C++ install issues.

https://forum.solidworks.com/welcome

After trying a Hotmail and several Comcast email addresses, I finally signed up for a Gmail account and the activation key email went to the spam folder. For some reason, none of my other address ever received the activation key email... Hope this helps.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Tom Gagnon's Avatar
    I've had similar personal issues at home with installing and activating Student/EAA version. In my case it is surely because this PC has already performed failed installations before, so the Installation Manager thinks it's still in the middle of another installation. The solution to this is a Clean Install, which usually requires registry editing to remove all references to past installations. I know these instructions and resources exist, but haven't had personal time to explore this fix. I'll report back once I figure this one out, in case it helps others Edit: Oh here they are, found in local post.

Whereas I have Premium licenses available at work, I'd like to install the Student license at home so that I can see available features from your perspective as well.
    Last edited by Tom Gagnon; 08-07-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Trying a work e-mail to solve (no) Activation key problem...

Quote Originally Posted by ddoi View Post
    Yes, I had the same problem. I tried an @yahoo.com email address and an @gmail.com address and never got an email with a serial number. I finally tried my work email (@_.edu) and then got a message with a serial number. I don't know if they're filtering out common commercial email providers. I also wonder if there's an issue with having DraftSight (their free 2D program) already registered with them.
    I have been going through the same mess now for a few days. I just tried registering with a "work" e-mail, but it has been several minutes now with nothing either. How long between registering for Solidworks and receiving the key e-mail?

It wasn't very long, less than a minute, before the e-mail with the serial number showed up.