Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compare/Contrast Sun n Fun and Oshkosh?

Compare/Contrast Sun n Fun and Oshkosh?

Been to Oshkosh but never Sun n Fun - can come of ya'll compare/Contrast Sun n Fun and Oshkosh?

Unless you live near Sun&Fun don't waist your time. It's a one day event. Save your money for Oshkosh!

Interesting. I was not aware Sun&Fun was only 1 day.

It's not that it's a one day event, it's just that it's smaller and you likely can see it all in one day. Fewer planes, fewer exhibits, the museum is smaller, everything is closer together so you spend less time walking. It's a more laid back environment as well. Not as elaborate as Oshkosh but is way to get over the winter blues if you can hit it without too much expense.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Capndar View Post
    Been to Oshkosh but never Sun n Fun - can come of ya'll compare/Contrast Sun n Fun and Oshkosh?
    Oshkosh is much bigger, except for ultralights. Sun n Fun has, in recent years, had more ultralight participation. (That is my impression. I don't know the actual numbers.)

All the aviation equipment vendors participate in Sun n Fun, but there are fewer junk vendors, and very few certificated aircraft companies that participate. There is nothing like the Ford and Cirrus involvement. No big stuff like the C-5 and airliners either. They have had the jet teams (T-birds, Angles, etc.) for the airshow. I don't really care for either airshow, but I would give the edge to Sun n Fun because, even though it is too long, it is not a long as the airshow at Oshkosh. Sun n Fun has been providing a first class night airshow / fireworks show for many years. The food service at Sun n Fun is not as extensive as it is at Oshkosh.

Forums and worshops are good at Oshkosh, and are the focus of my attention there. I know that there still are workshops at Sun n Fun, but not on the same scale as Oshkosh. I haven't been to a forum at Sun n Fun in several years.

For people coming from up north, Sun n Fun can be hot.

Just as the EAA convention went through years of money grubbing and ignoring the wants and needs of the participants, Sun n Fun also went through a similar period. Both are improving now, but Sun n Fun alienated some major vendors along the way, and still are doing things like trying to confiscate clubhouses (for example, the OX5 clubhouse). A pox on Sun n Fun for that. Vendors privately say that they have no option to opt out of participation at Oshkosh, but they can skip Sun n Fun, and several have recently done so.

I've been attending each for many years, starting with the first year at each location (and Rockford before Oshkosh). I still enjoy each one, and will continue participating in each one.

I encourage you to give it a try. It can be a good way to escape winter weather and get a start on summer flying. They are the big two, and the Arlington Fly-in, which I flew to from Florida last summer, is withering away.

Let me know if you have a specific question.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
    Unless you live near Sun&Fun don't waist your time. It's a one day event. Save your money for Oshkosh!
    Looking at all the planes and hitting the booths, should budget at least two days. Add in airshow and socializing, another one. Forums too? Oh, yeah, work them into another day...what, they aren't all neatly stacked into one day? Include the transit time which takes away from planes and booths on days one and two so add another day to cover that. Yeah, a person could do it in one day. Sure.

We spend most of the week there notwithstanding. We spend a lot of time socializing more than we spend on the "organized" activities. Never been to a SnF forum (rarely do them at Oshkosh either).

I've never been cold at SnF, nor will it ever be until the next ice age.
    Bryan

Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
    No, but weather isn't otherwise always friendly. Rain, tornados...

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post

You may not have been there the year that it snowed. That was cold to us Southerners.

BJC