Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry's One Man Band

Jerry's One Man Band

So after almost 30 years Jerry finally retired. I am not a fan of one man band or polka music, but for the past 29 years that music and walking through the Camp Scholler gate signaled the official open of Oshkosh to me. I was sad to see an empty paved pad there every day I walked through. Much like the Bill Ricketts yodel at 7:00 AM, Jerry did not really have a defined need, but he was part of what makes Oshkosh, well Oshkosh. Like the Whistler, like the Flight line Safety Scholler parade, like the ornithopter complete with a wing walker, like fresh baked doughnuts. At times Oshkosh is a place that transports us all to a whimsical wonderland of flight, with pieces that only loosely relate.

This is an easy one to fix. Jerry has CD's. The pad is still there unoccupied. A small memorial with his music piped out of some speakers would fit the bill nicely. I never go out of my way to listen to one man band music, but for that week it is important. If funding is needed, I would gladly start a campaign. Paul invited Jerry to come to Oshkosh and play, and for 29 years he did just that. I think we owe it to Jerry and Paul to keep this tradition alive.

~Respectfully
    Jim Buxton.

He said last year was his last...
    Bryan

Houston

I know, his sign also said it in 2013, and 2014. I did not expect him to *mean it* this time.

I noticed it too, it kinda bummed me out. He has been saying for a while though. I think glider90 has a great idea.

I like the idea too! Jerry said that this year was his last year, for several years...and last year, he meant it. It was so odd not seeing him and the little monkey figurine this year. I hope he is enjoying his retirement.

Here's a story from last year about Jerry's One Man Band:

http://fox11online.com/news/local/fo...irventure-icon

Yes, I even thought I was "lost" when walking by his spot....."where is Jerry?"

I will miss him. We need to connect the future with the past and he did that....same with the 7a yodeler. Each morning in Vintage Camping, I would be talking on the phone with my 90 year old Dad about that time and he said "make sure I get to hear the yodeler". These things are eclectic treasures. Thanks, EAA, for keeping the yodeler. (Now if we could just get another trash company down that direction.....the one this year really dropped the ball).
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

At least (at last check) Jerry is still alive. Though like the yodeller (who alas is no longer with us) they live ion in recordings.

I have the Yodeller as my ringtone.

For me, Jerry's one man band was part of the culture at EAA. I never liked the music, but missed him as well. That van, the hula monkey . . . belong in the museum. literally!

Maybe EAA can contact some of the America's Got Talent contestants and offer them Jerry's old stage!