View Poll Results: Should Airventure be a military airshow?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to see more military aircraft

19 26.39%
  • I support our veterans but lets only have one day of military stuff

30 41.67%
  • I would like more GA and less military stuff

21 29.17%
  • I Don't want any military aircraft at Oshkosh

2 2.78%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Airventure Theme

2012 Airventure Theme

Hopefully Aiventure 2012 will get back to the EAA roots as a festival celebrating GA aviation homebuilders And not be a another military airshow like Airventure 2010 seemed to be.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    I think this might help answer your question:

http://www.airventure.org/news/2011/110731_av2012.html

Planned themes so far include the 75th Anniversary of the Piper Cub, a tribute to Richard Van Grunsven and Vans (including the newly restored RV-1 headed for a place of honor at the AirVenture Museum), the 50th anniversary of the Dyke Delta, and some big things coming together around electric aircraft, to name a few.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hi Hal, that sounds wonderful. I got a bit bored with a constant military celebration last year. See you at 2012 Airventure.

Well, I see it differently. I have been flying into Oshkosh since 1985 except for 2010 (Sloshkosh) and have always noticed that military demonstrations drew the attention of everyone. Sorry, but I can only take so many of the so-called homebuilts. Most (not all) are boring except to the builder. I mean, just how many RV's can I look at before I want to start swinging at anything that moves. Now, when it comes to something original, innovative and unusual I am all for it, but I can only tolerate just so many Kit Foxes and other motor powered kites. As for "getting back to the roots" I can only say "forgetaboutit." It ain't gonna happen.

Nothing attracts more attention that some of the big and fast military stuff. And for those who recall the early days of the Gulf Wars and 9-11, they were very popular. Seems to me that we have been getting less and less of it.

Nothing turns heads like the sound of an afterburner kicking in, and it always will.

Having said all this and having hurt some feelings, I just want to say I want to see it all, but the military stuff rules.

HOOYAH!

I disagree, Lindberg. There are plenty of non-EAA airshows and museums to see warbirds. I go to Wings Over Houston almost every year to see them. I used to go to Oshkosh to see experimentals. Since it is not about experimentals anymore, I'll probably never go back again.

While the organization has always been dedicated to homebuilts and experimentals, the fly-in has historically welcomed all aspects of aviation - GA spam cans, warbirds, active military aircraft, etc. Just go back through the old Sport Aviation magazines and you'll see that it was a pretty eclectic mix of machines that came to the fly-in over the years. It's still that way and I for one enjoy it. I'm biased when it comes to military aircraft as that's what inspired me growing up. That's why I voted for more military aircraft in the poll. That being said, I truly enjoy the homebuilt experimentals, classics, and ultralights nearly as much and sometimes more. IF I were king of the world, I'd try and have a more even mix of every EAA division type on flying display, whether it be simple showcase flying around the patch as was done when I first started coming to AirVenture in the mid-90s, or as part of the actual afternoon air show. But I'll always vote for more military planes, as it's a good reminder of why we can even enjoy the show in the first place. Just my $0.02.

Zack

Sloshkosh was the first year for Connie and I.It had been described to us as EVERYTHING aviation. I feel that is a valid description, and a worthy goal for air venture, what could be better?.
    "The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a sport"— Orville Wright
    Tim OConnor, CFI, Commercial Pilot Rotorcraft, Sport Pilot Fixed Wing, FAA Advanced Ground Instructor:..
    You CAN Afford to FLY ! --> http://www.YouCanAffordToBeAPilot.com

As long as there is not another special "gender-specific" airshow day...it's all good.

Contrary to Lindberg's post, I get bored with the Military planes. I love the Experimentals, Classics and Antiques. the Military planes have a place too though, for those that enjoy them. As for the military jets, the people that enjoy them the most seem to be the non-flying general public in my opinion.

I really appreciate the fact that AirVenture is not type specific. There are areas for the Warbirds, LSA, Vintage, etc. Each year it seems I am interested is seeing something different, and I know I can find it somewhere in the show. I like the Warbirds, but I really like that the whole event isn't all about them like most home-town events. For those that want to focus just on Warbirds there are forums/speakers all week long that they can go to (which is the same for any type). My vote is for keeping the balance about the same.