View Poll Results: Should Airventure be a military airshow?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to see more military aircraft

19 26.39%
  • I support our veterans but lets only have one day of military stuff

30 41.67%
  • I would like more GA and less military stuff

21 29.17%
  • I Don't want any military aircraft at Oshkosh

2 2.78%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2012 Airventure Theme

I'd think that there's a good deal of truth in what you say, although I got the impression that a fair number of the people that gather by the runway for the daily airshow are families who are just on a day out, and not necessarily that 'into' aviation, but are nevertheless good citizens who wouldn't dream of dropping litter.

True Alex. I myself rarely watch the "airshow" itself. That is when I like to spend time at the exhibition hangars. I can only see so many loops and spins. God bless those great pilots but it's not for me unless it's something new or unusual. I do enjoy the military demonstrations and yes I cover my ears when they get loud. I still maintain that nothing gets the heads turning like a fighter or a big C-5 coming in.

But, getting back to the "litter" thinger, I truly believe that the type of people who attend AirVenture whether pilots or not are the type of people who would make an effort to put trash in a trash container. They are not your a total "reflection of the melting pot" if you know what I mean. The difference can clearly be seen when one goes to a State Fair. I won't even go to events like that anymore. Been there and done that. Heaps of trash, filth and stench. (I do miss the french fries, mini-doughnuts and pronto pups.)

I\To minimize litter at any public event, one key thing is to have enough trash cans and in the right place. People will often use trash cans, if they are convenient, but most people are not going to walk a longs ways to look for a can.
    At Osh EAA, there are a fair number of cans and they have people to come around and empty them often.
    Of course the people who started EAA had to set the standard of not littlering. I can still remember one day up at warbirds when it seemed pretty clean , but no less than Paul Poberezny himself was there picking up cigarette butts off the ground by hand. I am not going to pick up other people's cigarettes , but I made sure not to add any mess to the litter.

Of course the people who started EAA had to set the standard of not littlering. I can still remember one day up at warbirds when it seemed pretty clean , but no less than Paul Poberezny himself was there picking up cigarette butts off the ground by hand. I am not going to pick up other people's cigarettes , but I made sure not to add any mess to the litter.
    I had a similar experience with him when I was younger. It made me respect the man even more. I also had Rod Hightower last year tell me thank you for picking up a bottle that someone in front of me just dropped and walked away. People can say what they like about the "direction" the EAA is taking but I still believe we have some of the most decent folks I've had the pleasure of crossing paths with at the helm.