View Poll Results: Should Airventure be a military airshow?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to see more military aircraft

19 26.39%
  • I support our veterans but lets only have one day of military stuff

30 41.67%
  • I would like more GA and less military stuff

21 29.17%
  • I Don't want any military aircraft at Oshkosh

2 2.78%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Airventure Theme

"Nothing makes me grind my teeth more than having my head rattled by some guy compensating for anatomical inadequacy by engaging full afterburner."

Two great "rules of thumb." always bring a gun to a knife fight and always bring ear plugs to an airshow.

"Can't say that I have ever been.(Acee Deucee Bar) Is that an invitation?"

Then you have yet to experience the "Oshkosh Experience." (EAA does not like the name Oshkosh, as it cannot own the name. Remember the Old
    "Oshkosh" patches. When they changed it because they could not own the name "Oshkosh," I quit buying the dang things. I didn't know what to do with them anyway. I put them all on a light jacket and when I put the dang thing on I felt silly.)
    The Acee Deucee and other adult beverage establishments such as the Charcoal Pit offer relaxation and camaraderie after a long day of measuring instrument panels and rivet installation techniques....... Invite? But of course. You buy the first one.

Two great "rules of thumb." always bring a gun to a knife fight and always bring ear plugs to an airshow.
    I do bring ear plugs. Even with the earplugs, it makes me want to head for the other end of the field.

EAA does not like the name Oshkosh, as it cannot own the name. Remember the Old
    "Oshkosh" patches. When they changed it because they could not own the name "Oshkosh," I quit buying the dang things. I didn't know what to do with them anyway. I put them all on a light jacket and when I put the dang thing on I felt silly.
    That was before my time I do believe.

Invite? But of course. You buy the first one.
    Deal...it is a business expense in my case after all. Just remind me come July.

Unfortunately, due to budget cuts, the Air Force is doing away with all demo teams, with the exeception of the Thunderbirds and 1 F-22 Raptor demo team. And the F-22 team will be scheduled only 20 airshows for the 2012 season.

I think that Airventure is a perfect place to honor our military airmen and admire their equipment. But I also think that it shouldn't be all military.
    WTTN 16

"I think that Airventure is a perfect place to honor our military airmen and admire their equipment. But I also think that it shouldn't be all military."

It is and it ain't.Name:  DSC05742.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  76.7 KBName:  DSC05738.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  97.5 KB

I agree Airventure has everything for the aviation enthusiast but it's not a military airshow, so let's have a little less war and more GA...nice autogiro

I'm from the UK, and I've attended AirVenture for the last three years, and honestly I wouldn't change anything. Nothing this side of the pond can touch it. I can't see us ever getting a night-time show over here, the powers-that-be would never allow it!

Hunter Valley in New South Wales Australia
    I've travelled from Downunder twice now to see AirVenture and have not been dissapointed on any day. I admire the way Americans honour their Veterans and i think that one day out of the week during the show should be warbirds and Veterans. Not many of the troops left from WW2 and not as many of the aircraft flying as there were so should make the most of both while they are still around.
    night Airshow was brilliant. Our Regultory Body is also a bit 'Nanny State' when it comes to 'different'.

I agree with Ozzie regarding the way that Americans honour their veterans, and I also admire their patriotism which I regret is sadly lacking in the UK.

Returning to AirVenture, I find the running of the event to be very efficient, and I'm hugely impressed in particular by the lack of litter left on the field at the end of each day. Although the air display commentator makes a point of asking the visitors not to drop litter, I have the impression that this is not necessary, none would be dropped anyway. I'm ashamed to say that at any large outdoor event in this country be it an airshow, concert or whatever there's likely to be (in my experience at least) a large amount of litter left to be gathered up and removed by the oranisers of the event. Some of us here also have much to learn about general courtesy from the Americans at AirVenture. The traditional courteous English gentleman can be quite hard to find here these days!

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of people who attend AirVenture are members themselves, Alex. You also have to consider that the type of person who is interested in aviation, pilot or not, is more likely the type of person who would make an effort to throw a napkin or paper cup in a waste container rather than just throw it on the ground. Just looking around at the people and you can notice that they are not your "run of the mill" rock concert, mosh pit, zombies.

AirVenture is a pretty safe and clean place. No stabbings, shootings, muggings and the scent of marijuana is rare indeed. The reason AirVenture is the way it is is because of the type of people it attracts. I sure hope it stays that way.