I travelled from Australia for AirVenture2011 and had an absolute blast! However, the thing that REALLY got my camera shutter clicking was the military hardware. Sure, it was great to see the RV's and ultrafrights around the place, but after a while they all began to look the same. In fact, me and my mate got to the point of saying "Oh...it's just another P51" at one stage because even the numbers of Mustangs moving about the place became a little stale.

I don't agree, in any way, that war is glorified either by AirVenture, or any airshow. The best way we can honour those killed in military service ON ALL SIDES OF THE CONFLICT is to remember them. Seeing Corsairs, P38's and the like engaged in mock strafing runs on the airfield was nothing short of amazing and I couldn't help but imagine how terrifying it must have been to be an enemy soldier on the ground experiencing the "Whistling Death" swooping down over the battelfield. Likewise, seeing Fifi and Aluminium Overcast in the air was surreal, and a great tribute to the men who fought and died in these aircraft protecting the very same ideals that our soldiers fight for today.

I am already planning my next trip to Oshkosh, which will be 2013 at this stage. I am giving next year a miss simply because I have no interest in seeing a sea of yellow Cubs, and the tribute to the Tuskegee Airmen won't be enough to hold my interest for the full 7 days. I guess I lucked out this year with the 100 years of naval aviation celebration! But to be honest, without the large military presence, I doubt I would consider attending. I would probably look at other options such as the European military airshows around the same time as Oshkosh.