Thread: Highlight of the week

Highlight of the week

I usually skip the night airshow on Wednesday, it's just too late to walk back to Scholler after an early start to the day, sleeping in not an option in a tent. This year I decided to go into town for dinner after the afternoon airshow, listening to the hangar dance broadcast on the radio. I was driving back to camp after dinner, south on Oregon st, listening to Hals Dec. 7 Sunday morning broadcast. Reports of large groups of planes on the radio, bombing the fleet in harbor. I could see the Japanese bombers heading towards the airfield, just ahead of me. Looking to my right, I could see the explosions, the smoke and fire. Our P-40s tangling with the Zeroes, right over head. The fighters twisting and turning, making bombing runs at the airport. The B-17 looking for somewhere to land, the attack unfolding all around me, and the news reports on the radio. I found myself cheering for the Warhawk.

That was fun.
    Last edited by mazdaP5; 08-01-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Banned
    1. The Martin Mars water bombing 7200 gallons on the runway. Unfortunately, they paid big for their appearances with a on the water take-off strike that caused some damage.

2. Listening to the first person accounts and experiences of 4 Pearl Harbour military survivors at Theatre in the Woods. These mid-90's men were absolutely fascinating and riveting.

3. Observing far, far less crowds at the Icon exhibit than in the past and with very good reason. Looks good on them, very well deserved. Lesson learned maybe: never f**k with your customers.

1) Visiting with Sam James (accomplished aviator and boat racer in his own right) in the Aeroplane Workshop about building tube & fabric airplanes, his years as a friend of Paul Poberezny and astronauts Gus Grissom, Sam Shepherd and test pilot Scott Crossfield.

2) Hanging out at Homebuilt Headquarters during the morning storms.

3) Hearing the life stories of fellow Camp Scholler campers.

So much fun last week, and one highlight... Having Harrison Ford personally speak and introduce a Star Wars movie for me (and a thousand friends). I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but that was pretty cool. But then there was the cold beer and burgers at SOS (yea, I know), decent weather for much of the show, excellent camping with my plane and friends and their planes, wonderful camping amenities, morning breakfast and coffee meetings with friends, and the super support from all the volunteers.
    Last edited by Low Pass; 08-02-2016 at 04:39 PM.
    Bryan

Houston

Many highlights for me, but the highest one was seeing the Pearl Harbor veterans speak on Wednesday evening, while big band music wafted over from the Ladies Must Swing concert, followed by an outstanding Tora Tora Tora performance, followed by a showing of The Final Countdown. Starting the day watching Dick Cole speak at Warbirds in Review, Wednesday was probably the best overall Oshkosh day ever for me, and this was my 41st fly-in.

Many memories for me and my son. However, we had a chance to talk with a Tuskegee airman in one of the hangers early on. He chatted with us about 15 minutes and told us lots of stories. love that impromptu stuff at Oshkosh.