Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Post SOLIDWORKS Designs Here

RAF Mk II Reflecting Gunsight:

A lot of noob mistakes in the design, but it turned out pretty good. It's sitting atop a WWII A-10A aircraft sextant.

Note that it kinda "works". The reticle on the horizontal section is reflected in the angled plexiglass on top. Sure, it doesn't have infinity focus, and I can't adjust the sights for Pietenpols or RV-3s, but heck....

It needs a base to sit atop a curved panel, and I may replace the printed reticle with slits and electroluminescent panels or LEDs.

At my EAA meeting last night, I mentioned downloading Solidworks as a free EAA member benefit. One guy was shocked. He just bought a copy for work, and it cost almost $10,000.

Nice benefit, folks.....

Ron Wanttaja

Some of you may enjoy this! For the past few years I've been working on various B-17 restorations across the country, and have been working on building up my own airworthy cockpit section. Some day, I hope to recover a wreck or project, and get it to an airworthy status... But that's a long way off! For now, I've been making the most complete and accurate CAD model of the B-17. Specifically, this is B-17G-80-BO 43-38083.

I started using a different educational copy of Solidworks. Since then, I have become a certified Solidworks Associate, and then a certified Solidworks Professional through the CSWA and CSWP.

Here are a few older renders of my work:

Name:  FERight-6-25-19.jpg
Views: 4305
Size:  87.2 KB
    Name:  MainAssy-8-6-19.jpg
Views: 3581
Size:  12.8 KB
    Name:  NoseBack-5-26-19.jpg
Views: 3821
Size:  94.6 KB
    Name:  SPECIAL-MAINASSY-3-12-19.jpg
Views: 4529
Size:  18.9 KB

Fabulous work! I can appreciate the effort involved,,, well, except for the rendering. I don't do renderings.

I have some experience with B-17 parts but it was in my pre-CAD days. I made the aft skins for the somewhat inaccurate stringer tail on the Collings B-17G-80-DL. It least they're aluminum and not fiberglass!

I hope you continue to post regarding your progress, very cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Josephs View Post
    Some of you may enjoy this! For the past few years I've been working on various B-17 restorations across the country, and have been working on building up my own airworthy cockpit section. Some day, I hope to recover a wreck or project, and get it to an airworthy status... But that's a long way off! For now, I've been making the most complete and accurate CAD model of the B-17. Specifically, this is B-17G-80-BO 43-38083.
    I started using a different educational copy of Solidworks. Since then, I have become a certified Solidworks Associate, and then a certified Solidworks Professional through the CSWA and CSWP.
    Beautiful work! At AirVenture, I was talking with a volunteer who has worked on EAA's B17. EAA subscribes to Aircorp's Library (a steal at $5/month) and this volunteer has worked on creating various schematics and notes for our maintenance team from scans of the B17 manuals in the Aircorp Library. We were talking about how it would be great if we could enlist EAA Volunteers to redraw warbirds (and other aircraft) in SOLIDWORKS to assist others in restoration work.

Cessna R182 Trim wheel light cover. One of my first attempts.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by rmlewisjr View Post
    Cessna R182 Trim wheel light cover. One of my first attempts.
    Nice looking file. I learned something new, too. Windows 10 has a built in STL file viewer! Mind if I upload it to GrabCad and link to it?

I have models I build in Carrara and send through NETFABB as exported .3ds and then out of NETFABB as .stl . I then can import to Solidworks 2013 which cannot export as .stl only as several .STP s or a Solid part or assembly. So with all the danger to me involved, I give you https://grabcad.com/dalestoner-1/models?page=3

So I'm not as talented as most the designs I see on here but I have fun creating basically wind tunnel models and test them in flow sim. I figured I'd share some of my new ones (hopefully this is the right spot). Mainly working on lifting body high mach and boost glide designs but figured I'd try my hand at a reverse wing as I love the look. It's fist attempt so not exactly where I would like it but I learned some stuff.

Working on a new design. Took inspiration off the U-2 and Reaper. About 5700lbf on the wings. 30 x 54ft. CG is pretty good. Wanted to design a push prop. I call it DB-1 Already gonna be working on 2 Someone suggested a ducted fan. Calculated it at about 330fts.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Drake Firebreed; 07-20-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Puuri View Post
    Nice looking file. I learned something new, too. Windows 10 has a built in STL file viewer! Mind if I upload it to GrabCad and link to it?
    Not at all, go right ahead.