Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Post SOLIDWORKS Designs Here

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    To illustrate how I use this tool (SWx), I discovered an interference between the wobble pump bracket and the aileron pushrod. The aileron arm on the torque tube was (and actually still is) in the standard location but since my seat is farther aft the wobble pump is also farther aft. The fix will be to move the aileron arm (yes, cut off the old one and install a new one, straighten the torque tube, etc,,,) farther aft on the torque tube. On a stock S-1S the aileron pushrod is not parallel to the spar, mine will be (when I get around to changing it). I wish I had a tool like SWx when I did the initial design work, a mistake like this would have never happened...
    The interference checking tool in SW is certainly one of the unsung heros. Another is the detailed BOM (Bill Of Materials that can be exported as an Excel file) that goes right down to counting the number of rivets (if you bothered to model them),

I second Anna's motion on the beauty of this model

I'm working with an engineer on my aileron design and we communicate via email with Solidworks models. Makes life much easier for both of us!
    I'm curious to know if you were able to calculate the weight of the airframe and location of the CofG from this model, and how it compares to the "as built" numbers?

I didn't try to do a CG calc, there are way too many things that won't be in the model -- like the right wings , welds, hoses, wires, fabric and paint and even a full population of screws/bolts/rivets (yep, I have them modeled). I do weight studies on parts and simple assemblies which helps drive design decisions but I mostly include hardware items to check for clearances. I have seen some errors with the mass properties tool involving ignoring assigned materials so I don't trust it 100%. I have a big weight adjuster -- the engine mount! The plan is to do the engine mount last to nail down the CG using the otherwise finished airframe.

I have used the interference tool on other (work) stuff but this model is too large to deal with, I just make sure things have a decent amount of space between parts visually.

Hey Cory, if you're looking in on this, your PM mailbox is full.........
    Last edited by cwilliamrose; 08-29-2016 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Added content

... I have seen some errors with the mass properties tool involving ignoring assigned materials so I don't trust it 100%.
    Could you give me an example of such errors? I've had rather good experience with the mass properties tool, but I may have missed errors due to my negligence in checking - more trust than sense

...I have a big weight adjuster -- the engine mount! The plan is to do the engine mount last to nail down the CG using the otherwise finished airframe.
    I gecha - Make the engine mount either out of lead or styrofoam depending on where the "as-built" CofG turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Meyer View Post
    Could you give me an example of such errors? I've had rather good experience with the mass properties tool, but I may have missed errors due to my negligence in checking - more trust than sense
    In a fairly large assembly the total weight didn't seem right and a little digging showed that some of the components were being left out of the mass calculation. I checked that those parts were assigned a material and the properties were correct. It is possible the parts were configured and the individual configurations were missing a material assignment but I didn't go that deeply into it. This was a number of years (and versions) ago but I still don't have 100% trust in the results so I keep my use of that tool to smaller assemblies where errors would be easier to spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Meyer View Post
    I gecha - Make the engine mount either out of lead or styrofoam depending on where the "as-built" CofG turns out.
    Or just change the length an inch or three....

All better. Sorry. I didn't realize we had a limit on PMs as staff and that it was counting my outbox.

Here's a link to the library we use over at the Biplane Forum;

http://79ft.net/pages/solidworks-models.html

This is a list of the models available as of Aug 2014;

AN.Bolt.SLDPRT
    AN310.Castle.Nut.SLDPRT
    AN315.Plain.Airframe.Nut.SLDPRT
    AN316.Jam.Nut.SLDPRT
    AN365.Elastic.Stop.Nut.SLDPRT
    AN381.MS24665.Cotter.Pin.sldprt
    AN392.Clevis.Pin.SLDPRT
    AN393.Clevis.Pin.SLDPRT
    AN430.Rivet.SLDPRT
    AN470.Rivet.SLDPRT
    AN490.Rod.End.SLDPRT
    AN665.Clevis.Terminal.SLDPRT
    AN960.Washer.SLDPRT
    AN970.Wood.Washer.SLDPRT
    KP3.SLDPRT
    KP3A.SLDPRT
    KP3L.SLDPRT
    KP4.SLDPRT
    KP4A.SLDPRT
    KSP3L.SLDPRT
    MS20426AD.Rivet.SLDPRT
    MS21042.Stop.Nut.SLDPRT
    REP3H5.Assy.SLDASM
    REP3H5.SLDPRT
    REPB3N2.Assy.SLDASM
    REPB3N2.SLDPRT
    REP4F5.SLDASM
    REP4F5.SLDPRT
    REP4H6.SLDASM
    REP4H6.SLDPRT

Last edited by cwilliamrose; 08-30-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Here's a link to the library we use over at the Biplane Forum;

http://79ft.net/pages/solidworks-models.html

Outstanding stuff