Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post SOLIDWORKS Designs Here

Post SOLIDWORKS Designs Here

After you create a design and want to share it, load it to GrabCAD and tag it as "EAA". Then, post a reply to this forum thread and link it here. Thanks!

Link to GrabCAD: https://grabcad.com/library/software/solidworks

EAA.PRTDOT - If you want SOLIDWORKS to be configured for aircraft design purposes, Tom Kreiner created this part that you can convert to a template. Steps to using it: 1) Click the link and download, 2) Open the template and save it (File / Save As), 3) Click YES to Delete the empty sketch, 4) in the first Drop Down Menu at the bottom of the Window select "Part1" (or whatever name that appears) and enter "EAA", 5)in the second Drop Down Menu select "Part Template", and 6) click Save button. Going forward, select this EAA template to pre-load SOLIDWORKS' aircraft design settings.

Below, I will repost links to common parts.

Fasteners (McMaster) - a) choose the product in the McMaster catalog by number, b) download a 3D CAD file by either SOLIDWORKS (might not work in EAA Maker Edition) or STEP option, c) [if you choose STEP] say no to "checking" or "feature recognition", d) save the part to you library under Fasteners, and e) consider suppressing the thread cut feature to reduce the part complexity for file size. (The detailed geometry of these parts may slow down your system if you incorporate a lot of them into a complex design.)
    AN Fittings (Swagelok)
    Tubing - This is a ZIP file provided by VR3 that includes various sizes of tubes that could be used in tube and fabric aircraft designs
    Traceparts - multiple 2D and 3D parts catalogs in one location
    Common Biplane Parts
    SOLIDWORKS File Sharing Site - this can be challenging to search as it lacks the tagging of GrabCAD
    3D Content Central - The site requires a free login. This is owned by Dassault Systemes, maker of SOLIDWORKS. It isn't as good as GrabCAD for sharing between hobbyists, but there are a lot of manufacturer parts available.

Aircraft
    Zenith 750 Cruzer - eDrawing, courtesy of Zenith Aircraft
    DHC-1 Super Chipmunk* - courtesy of Mark Meredith
    MC-15 CRI-CRI* - courtesy of Osvaldo de Jesus
    Bowers Flybaby - courtesy of Max Witt

Airfoil
    UIUC Airfoil Data Site - This is not a design, but a group of nearly 1,600 airfoil coordinates files that can be pulled into SOLIDWORKS with some work. Check out this forum post for more info.

Engines
    Rotax 912*
    Dynacam* - courtesy of Bert van Haren

Panels
    Van's - stored as DXF files. Here is an explanation of how to convert to SOLIDWORKS.

Avionics
    Dynon - DXF 2D and IGS 3D "Sand-filled" solid models
    Garmin - DXF 2D and STEP 3D "Sand-filled" solid models

Fabrication
    Lightning Hole Tool - courtesy of Mark Meredith
    Tube Marking Tools and Other parts - courtesy of Rainbow Aviation's Brian Carpenter visit his EMG site for more info and check out his EAA Hint's for Homebuilders video on 3D printing.EAA Workbench -

Other Parts

Radio Mount: Icom IC-A6 / IC-A24A - this mount is courtesy of Rainbow Aviation's Brian Carpenter visit their site for more info
    AN Bolt - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    AN4 Aviation Hardware Pack - courtesy of JayMan_5000
    AN310 Castle Nut - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    AN315 Plain Airframe Nut - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    AN316 Jam Nut - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    AN365 Elastic Stop Nut - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    AN381 MS24665 Cotter Pin - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    AN392 Clevis Pin - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    AN393 Clevis Pin - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    AN430 Rivet - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    AN470 Rivet - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    AN490 Rod End - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    AN665 Clevis Terminal - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    AN960 Washer - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    AN970 Wood Washer - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    KP3 - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    KP3A - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    KP3L - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    KP4 - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    KP4A - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    KSP3L - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    MS20426AD Rivet - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    MS21042 Stop Nut - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    REP3H5 Assembly - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    REP3H5 - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    REPB3N2 Assembly - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    REPB3N2 - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    REP4F5 Assembly - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    REP4F5 - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    REP4H6 Assembly - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    REP4H6 - courtesy of EAA members, Bill Rose and Fi Fomichev.
    Carling Series V Rocker Switch Mounts - courtesy of Scott Flugum
    Wing Tip Light Mount for Panther - courtesy of Scott Flugum
    Scott Tailwheel Assembly - courtesy of Mark Meredith
    DHC-1 Super Chipmunk Flap Assembly - courtesy of Mark Meredith
    DHC-1 Super Chipmunk Main Gear - courtesy of Mark Meredith
    Timken Roller Bearing - courtesy of Mark Meredith
    Aero Vent - courtesy of Igor H. (forums aka "supik")
    Cessna 182 Trim for Light - courtesy of RM Lewis Jr.

After you create a design and want to share it, load it to GrabCAD and tag it as "EAA". Then, post a reply to this forum thread and link it here. Thanks!

*Not an official design; so, dimensions and weights may be inaccurate and the provider may not have permission to reverse engineer and share such models. Designs are shared for informational and educational purposes only.
    Last edited by Cory Puuri; 09-15-2020 at 11:51 AM.

FWIW, I won't be using it for designs, but I will be using it to recreate detail parts for my Pober Junior Ace drawings to be used as CAM files for waterjet fabrication. Perfect timing!

Quote Originally Posted by wltrmtty View Post
    FWIW, I won't be using it for designs, but I will be using it to recreate detail parts for my Pober Junior Ace drawings to be used as CAM files for waterjet fabrication. Perfect timing!
    Very cool! You can share parts, too. Maybe you can group all of them into one forum post with links.

I did want to add that if you assemble the parts in an assembly you can identify areas where moving parts may strike each other in unintended ways so that you can modify them and correct problems.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Puuri View Post
    I did want to add that if you assemble the parts in an assembly you can identify areas where moving parts may strike each other in unintended ways so that you can modify them and correct problems.
    When you're in assembly mode in SW go to Tools > Interference Detection > Calculate.

In the spirit of this thread ...

Here is an overhead light fitting designed in SW, 3D printed at home, and being installed on an RV. (Couldn't attach the SW part file - forum attachment file size limitation).

Designed in SolidWorks

3D printed at home (apologize for the poor photo quality)

Being installed on an RV
    Attached Images Attached Images    

If you're into 3D printing and now that you're an expert () in SW, here are a few design ideas for your homebuilt:

Various grips, handles and knobs.
    Pedal covers.
    Molds for glass-fiber/carbon composite parts (wheel spats, winglets, fairings, ...).
    Holders for smart phones/tablets and portable avionics.
    Sunshades for instruments.
    Storage hooks for headsets.
    Covers for pitot tubes.
    Mounts for small personal fans (or the fans themselves).
    Coffee cup holders.
    3D models of your homebuilt.
    Custom (and light) wheel chocks.
    GoPro camera mounts.
    Air vent openings.

I'm sure there are lots more ideas out there - the sky is (literally) the limit.

I am not looking to share this model but several of us do share common stuff -- AN hardware, etc and the link to the library is on the Biplane Forum website. Anyway, the image below is of a Pitts project I started many years ago and will finally be putting on the front burner. This model started out as simply the aileron control system and I was looking to modify the geometry to eliminate the differential travel. I'm using different ailerons so a lot of things changed and the goal for me was to evaluate what the travels would be with stock or near-stock components and then change the bellcrank angle to get identical travels up and down. The aileron system model progressed into also looking at my elevator trim system,,,, then a full fuselage (modeled as-built since it pre-dates Solidworks) with wings. I started this model in June 2013.

I'm working with an engineer on my aileron design and we communicate via email with Solidworks models. Makes life much easier for both of us!

I have been a Solidworks user since 1998 and I see this as a tool to confirm that all the parts will play together nicely. I hope to avoid building multiple versions of parts only to find out I didn't think of all the downstream effects of my changes. The scrap pile should be smaller and pixels are much cheaper than aircraft materials. Beyond that I design the jigs and fixtures used to make some of the parts and some of those have already been built.

Name:  BR Complete Assy1 5-1-15.jpg
Views: 10827
Size:  95.3 KB
    Last edited by cwilliamrose; 08-25-2016 at 11:31 AM.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    I am not looking to share this model but several of us do share common stuff -- AN hardware, etc and the link to the library is on the Biplane Forum website. Anyway, the image below is of a Pitts project I started many years ago and will finally be putting on the front burner. This model started out as simply the aileron control system and I was looking to modify the geometry to eliminate the differential travel. I'm using different ailerons so a lot of things changed and the goal for me was to evaluate what the travels would be with stock or near-stock components and then change the bellcrank angle to get identical travels up and down. The aileron system model progressed into also looking at my elevator trim system,,,, then a full fuselage (modeled as-built since it pre-dates Solidworks) with wings. I started this model in June 2013.

I'm working with an engineer on my aileron design and we communicate via email with Solidworks models. Makes life much easier for both of us!

I have been a Solidworks user since 1998 and I see this as a tool to confirm that all the parts will play together nicely. I hope to avoid building multiple versions of parts only to find out I didn't think of all the downstream effects of my changes. The scrap pile should be smaller and pixels are much cheaper than aircraft materials. Beyond that I design the jigs and fixtures used to make some of the parts and some of those have already been built.

Name:  BR Complete Assy1 5-1-15.jpg
Views: 10827
Size:  95.3 KB

Very nice looking model cwilliamrose....

Thanks Anna! Here are a few closer views;

Name:  Trim Horn.jpg
Views: 9674
Size:  88.0 KB
    The bolt is not fully inserted because I wanted to see if it could be inserted past the horn.

Name:  Aileron Cove, Lwr Tip9.jpg
Views: 9748
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  An Hardware Models.jpg
Views: 9798
Size:  84.7 KB

Name:  H-Stab Strut7.JPG
Views: 9712
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  Lower Wing, 37in.jpg
Views: 10332
Size:  96.5 KB

To illustrate how I use this tool (SWx), I discovered an interference between the wobble pump bracket and the aileron pushrod. The aileron arm on the torque tube was (and actually still is) in the standard location but since my seat is farther aft the wobble pump is also farther aft. The fix will be to move the aileron arm (yes, cut off the old one and install a new one, straighten the torque tube, etc,,,) farther aft on the torque tube. On a stock S-1S the aileron pushrod is not parallel to the spar, mine will be (when I get around to changing it). I wish I had a tool like SWx when I did the initial design work, a mistake like this would have never happened...

Name:  Wob Pump Brkt Aileron Interference1.jpg
Views: 10166
Size:  93.9 KB
    As currently built.

Name:  Wob Pump Brkt Aileron Interference2.jpg
Views: 9998
Size:  93.0 KB
    Post surgery.