Thread: Missing man fformation at Oshkosh

Missing man fformation at Oshkosh

Why are they no longer doing missing man formations for the Warbird show? To me remembering and honoring our fallen soldiers is one of the most important parts of what Warbirds are about!

I heard it , didn't see it, but there was some kind of honoring event on Sun morning.

Although I asked this question on several forums and places last year, no one would give any type of explanation. To restate it, in years past EVERY Oshkosh Warbird show ended with a missing man formation. In 2016 they stopped other than the one Bill mentioned above. This year I think I heard the explanation from the announcer. As it was explained, ONLY Active/Veteran Pilots are to perform missing man formations in honor of their comrades. By that I take it that it may be inappropriate for Civilian pilots to perform that ritual. I can understand if people would be upset by that. If that is indeed the reason the daily missing man formations have been discontinued, I definitely respect that! I was moved as always by both the Heritage Flight tribute to Vlado Lenoch and also the Bombers doing it for the show on Friday.

The only missing man formation I saw this year was also the most impressive I've seen. Two B-29's and two B-25's, with a -29 on the pull-up. Once in a lifetime...

Jim
    EAA 64315

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    The only missing man formation I saw this year was also the most impressive I've seen. Two B-29's and two B-25's, with a -29 on the pull-up. Once in a lifetime...
    I'll second that. That formation was both powerful and beyond impressive. Amazing!
    Cheers!

Joe

The Sunday morning missing man was for the Memorial Wall ceremony. I did the see the B-29 missing man. Pretty darn amazing.
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313