Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Must Swing

Ladies Must Swing

Just in case you missed this in the schedule, Wednesday evening from 6:30 P.M. until 8:00 P.M. at the Boeing Centennial Plaza, the above swing band is performing. I happened to see them a few years back in Beloit, Wisconsin on a friday or saturday evening music in the park (Riverside Park) event, and they are an excellent band. We had a great time. If you're like me and you really like the music right out of the 1930's and 1940's WWII era, you will love this band.

Russ Zimmerman
    EAA Member #292524
    "Thanks Paul"

I wonder how many today listen to this style of music? I did back in the 60's and 70's. Not so much today. But I would like to see a good band perform some of Glen Millers songs like in the Mood. But I would bet dollars to donuts not many today listen to this music. I worked a job at age 15 back in the early 70's were I cleaned a convention hall. I would play Glen Miller over the speaker system hooked up to a cassette deck. My boss could not believe a 15 year old listened to this music. I loved it.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 07-27-2016 at 04:57 AM.

It's interesting how others relate to any given topic. Thanks for your input and thoughts. I was born in 1950, and I never really cared much for the big band or swing music by the time I was a young teen or so. Back then, for me at least, it was pop top 40, and then of course all the Beatles hoopla and the copious other similar bands that came about in the late 60's and early 70's. That's all I was interested in back then. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Cream, you know the bands. There were tons of them.

It was actually EAA that brought about first an interest, then a great admiration for big band music for me. When I first began coming up to Oshkosh for the fly-in in the mid 70's, I noticed the kind of music that was played around at various places in the Warbird area, which is where I primarily hung out. I vaguely recall a very large food tent that offered up a variety of foods after waiting around in the long lines. And while I waited, that was the kind of music being played and I heard and actually took note of probably for the first time in my life.

But it wasn't then that I began developing an interest. It was years later as I would reminisce about my earlier yearly trips to Oshkosh and I would also recall the big band music I had heard years earlier. About the same time, I was running into various events where I was again hearing that kind of music more and more, or at least began noticing it more. And it was then that I really began to develop and interest.

Over then past 10 years or so, that interest has grown to where it is now my favorite kind of listening music. It brings back so many fond memories of the fly-in and things I saw and people I met.
    Last edited by spongebobiwan; 07-27-2016 at 07:01 AM.

Russ Zimmerman
    EAA Member #292524
    "Thanks Paul"

I was born in 1960. When I was 16 and driving all my buddies around I would listen to things like the Moody Blues and such. All my friends would listen but give me grief. Today when I see these same people they thank me for introducing them to this music back then. Funny how that works.

Its great to hear others are getting back into this type of music. I love it. But I like most all music but rap. To me that is not music. IMHO.

I find myself when in my hangar tuning into the old country stations. The ones who play real country music.

Tony

P.S. Maybe I should mention, I played Trombone in a swing " Jazz " band when I was in my early years. I am speaking around 11 yrs of age. Won a couple medals doing this back then.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 07-27-2016 at 08:51 AM.

For those of us who for some reason or the other can not make it to Oshkosh...Enjoy this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgsw7hlocTE

I am a guitarist in a very hard rock band. I was raised on classical music, and introduced to Big Band music as a young adult. I am hooked. For me this year at OSH, is great. A little bit of everything.
    Rick

Also,
    My 15 year old daughter LOVES big band/swing as well.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Its great to hear others are getting back into this type of music. I love it. But I like most all music but rap. To me that is not music. IMHO.
    Ever notice how RAP is 3/4 of the word CRAP? LOL

Russ Zimmerman
    EAA Member #292524
    "Thanks Paul"

Did you lovers of swing music catch the Big Bad Voodoo Daddys on Friday night at Boeing square? Those guys were tight. It was their second appearance at AV and I hope they return soon.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I had the honor of producing the Pearl Harbor commemorative program for EAA Radio. It was an amazing experience working with Hal Bryan, Ladies Must Swing, Eric Webster (the radio actors) and the Tora Tora Tora team to put on that show. If you missed it or if you would like to relive it, you can find it on the EAA Radio archives page or at this link:
    http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa...fb8f4cb78.ashx
    Jim Gray
    Station Manager - EAA Radio
    http://eaaradio.net