Thread: Aircraft camping availability

Aircraft camping availability

This will be our first time coming to Oshkosh but unfortunately we cannot make it until Thursday. I saw this morning that all of GA camping was full, does space normally open up mid week? or should we just plan at staying at an alternate?
    Thanks for your help

Although not attending this year, for many years I arrived on Thursday and departed on Sunday. Have never had any trouble getting a camping spot; since the institution of the night airshow on Wednesday, there has been a tendency for the people that arrived before the start of the show on Monday to depart Thursday morning after attending the Wednesday night airshow. I would plan on arriving around noon on Thursday to give departures time to clear out.

All of the above said, always be prepared to go elsewhere (e.g., Fond du Lac) if need be.

That was very helpful, thanks! Fond du Lac is going to be our back up if it is still full.

Banned
    Mooseman,

I was down by the south forty tonight about 7:30 pm to watch the WW1 full scale and RC aircraft fly and there were quite a number of new arrivals being directed to parking spots there. Unfortunately the WW1 flying was cancelled because of the crash of a B-26(nose gear collapse)on the runway and the airport was shut down.

Actually, it was an A-26 Invader.

Russ Zimmerman
    EAA Member #292524
    "Thanks Paul"

I think you will be fine later in the week. Of course check the evening before departure and the morning of.

As mentioned, have your backup plans.

Hey Sponge Bob, the FAA registration says it is a B-26B. During WW II the USAAC used A-26. Then the USAF said it was a B-26 until Vietnam when bombers could not be based in Thailand, so it once again became an A-26K.

Gunslinger. That's interesting to know. Thanks. I was merely going by what the pilot himself as well as the control tower were transmitting during the event, calling the aircraft an Invader.

Russ Zimmerman
    EAA Member #292524
    "Thanks Paul"