Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REAL 1st Timer

REAL 1st Timer

Very excited to attend first time...Driving in for Thursday (only) to support USCG Aviation. Never been - what are the few 'must haves' to survive/succeed? Big hat, light shirt, water in small cooler, chair...others?

Thanks for any guidance

Wear very comfortable walking shoes, pack light, bring sunscreen. If you need special food, bring it with you - mostly carnival type food at the show. Check the allowable items re your cooler.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/ab...ohibited-items
    Last edited by Low Pass; 07-20-2016 at 07:07 AM.
    Bryan

Houston

One day visit for someone there for the first time will hopefully be a very busy day for you. Since you mentioned a chair, it sounds like you're interested in the afternoon air show. If sitting on the ground isn't much of a problem for you, I'd skip carrying one around all day. Sure you can keep it in the car, until needed, but it's quite a long trip from the flight line to the parking lots. Take a water bottle, and refill it from the fountains. Use http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/pla...irventure-trip

Try to get on site as early as possible to get somewhat close parking. Stay to the right to try to get to the Blue parking lot. That puts you near the center. Purchase admission online so you only have to wait in a short line to exchange your receipt for a wristband.

As the other 1st timer thread mentions, you won't see everything. This is especially true if you're spending a few hours watching the afternoon air show. I would think that the day would mostly be spent along the main avenue, Celebration Way where the main commercial exhibits are, and Boeing Plaza where the big planes are. You should take the Red tram north to the Warbird area for some naval aviation. You may want to watch the show from an area south of the central area. That's the Vintage section. You can wander through the planes there while watching the show.

Look through the event schedule in advance, filtering for Thursday, to see if there are any presentations that are of interest to you.

I know on my first time there, I was "Look an airplane! There's another airplane! More airplanes! Over there are more airplanes!" I ended up missing hearing from some great speakers. I also started talking with people. There are some really fascinating people on the grounds. Virtually everyone is easy to talk with, since we have the common interest.

One of our senior chapter members has a story from several years ago. He was at a local restaurant which was naturally very busy. The waitress asked if they would be willing to share their table. Of course they agreed like anyone would. Who happens to end up sitting with them and telling stories and reminiscing during the dinner? Bob Hoover and another famous test pilot.

Edit: This is very interesting. I did not type "famous test pilot", but entered his name. The forum software made the substitution. Is there some reason the General's name can't be used here?
    Edit again: A search shows that unanswered question was brought up in Jan. 2013. http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?3335
    Last edited by PaulDow; 07-20-2016 at 07:47 AM.

The General in question has gone full on Diva at Oshkosh in the past, upsetting a lot of members. Although word is that his new wife is the reason, on that part, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Capndar View Post
    Very excited to attend first time...Driving in for Thursday (only) to support USCG Aviation. Never been - what are the few 'must haves' to survive/succeed? Big hat, light shirt, water in small cooler, chair...others?

Thanks for any guidance

First time and coming for 1 day? Be prepared for sensory overload!! We do 7 days every year and still miss 50% of all that's on offer. If you can swing more time at the show you won't regret it.

You'll want to bring an absorbent crying towel to use when you realize you have to leave after only one day. Just trying to be humorous. The magic really hits when you realize EVERYONE from EVERYWHERE dealing with EVERYTHING in aviation is in one place. As others said above, you'll be standing shoulder to shoulder with someone, and you have no idea if they're a bazillionaire, a WWII ace, or just some schmoe. We all look the same and dress the same and sweat the same. True com padres.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    Who happens to end up sitting with them and telling stories and reminiscing during the dinner? Bob Hoover and another famous test pilot.

Edit: This is very interesting. I did not type "famous test pilot", but entered his name. The forum software made the substitution. Is there some reason the General's name can't be used here?
    Edit again: A search shows that unanswered question was brought up in Jan. 2013. http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?3335
    We had a couple of drinks with Bob Hoover back in the 1990s at the Acee Deucee. Would have loved to have sat next to him at dinner! I saw the unnamed test pilot speak several times...he was noticeably less friendly and accommodating when wife #2 was with him. Pretty sad. Bob Hoover, OTOH, seems like a great guy all around.

OP, I would skip the chair unless you have some reason that you can't sit on the ground for the airshow. And honestly, I wouldn't even sit for the airshow. You can see it very well while you're walking around seeing other things and you can hear the announcers pretty much everywhere on grounds so you will know what's going on. Skip the cooler, too, you can get cool drinks on the grounds, and if you ask the people at the A and W stands, they will give you a cup of ice to make your drinks even cooler. Sunscreen for sure, hat, some kind of shoulder bag or backpack in case you buy some things so you won't have to carry shopping bags around. Air band radio. And comfy walking shoes are a must. There are free trams available but they don't go everywhere and you are going to do a LOT of walking. Have fun!
    Last edited by BeagleOne; 07-20-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Great tips

Great tips everyone - Got it on the one day - that is all I have

I will drop the chair and cooler idea (although I had found a combo stool/cooler)

air band radio? why?

I think the mention of the radio is to listen to a few frequencies, maybe tower during arrivals then the airshow freqs. If sitting & watching all that, may be a fine idea.

I like to travel light, as I may acquire some goodies in the commercial buildings. That means no chair, radio, etc,,, just a mostly empty backpack. I'll sit on the ground if I need to for a while, or another's unattended chair?.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Delene View Post
    I think the mention of the radio is to listen to a few frequencies, maybe tower during arrivals then the airshow freqs. If sitting & watching all that, may be a fine idea.

I like to travel light, as I may acquire some goodies in the commercial buildings. That means no chair, radio, etc,?
    If you carry a smartphone, the LiveATC app allows listening in to several Oshkosh frequencies without need of an aviation radio.