Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to prepare for sport pilot written test

Happy Best way to prepare for sport pilot written test

Hi everyone, accept my apologies if this has been previously asked and answer, but would you care to chime in with your opinions on how you prepared for your sport pilot written test. As you know, unlike the PPL which requires ground school, those of us aiming for the SPL have the option of independently preparing for the written test. Meaning I can just buy a few books, perhaps buy one of the online prep courses, etc. How did you prepare and what was your experience?

Thank you in advance.

If you don't mind an answer based on the instrument written, the great thing about online is it will let you focus on only the questions you've missed and it will let you simulate your actual test. Once you are getting the score you want the real thing is easy. That said, I prepared for the private with a $12 book. But that was in the 70s!

Best thing you could do is join the EAA. Sign up as a student. They will start sending you all sorts of printed info on your training. You also have others who will help. This is how I started and what I did. I signed up for anything anyone offered for student pilots. I then started to receive in snail mail all sorts of books on training. Don't focus on SP when you do this. Get all the info you can find on PP training and read it all. Once you do this you will be prepared for SP.

I also joined the AOPA.

https://www.americanflyers.net/learning_guides.htm

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 07-20-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Hi, I am new here as well, and getting ready to start this process also.
    So just to clarify, it is NOT possible to self study for a private license? Only Sport? On EAA's site, it says, "As a prerequisite of taking the written test, you must have written proof of having successfully completed ground instruction and the provider of the instruction must be certified." Is this only addressing ground school for a private license, and not for a sport license? Ive already ordered some training books but just want to know where thats going to get me. If that will only allow me to get a sport license or if I can attain a private license that way as well. And does the written permission not apply to sport licenses?

Before sitting for the Sport Pilot written exam, the student must have:

Written statement or logbook endorsement from an authorized ground or flight instructor
    certifying that the applicant completed an applicable ground training or home study course and

is prepared for the knowledge test.
    (14 CFR §§ 61.309)

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/...ing_matrix.pdf

--------

You can and should "self-study" for all pilot certifications, at the very least, it will reduce your overall cost. If you can show a CFI or ground instructor that you're ready for the written, you can dodge most of the ground school lessons. I've no personal experience, but I will suggest that not all CGIs or AGIs will do this for you. Call around. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BdNflnc View Post
    So just to clarify, it is NOT possible to self study for a private license?
    x2. That is false. It is completely acceptable to self-study for a private pilot knowledge test.

If you use the King school courses, via dvd or online or whatever, when you tell them you have completed the course, then King will send you a certificate which qualifies the student to take the written test. I assume this is so for private and sport pilot as it was in the past for private, and likely other courses do this also such as Sportys.
    I used books and video tapes but nowadays I would really recommend using the computer interactive system, think Kinig has it maybe others. It is very focused and effective, will save time and in the long run may save money and end up better knowledge.
    You probably could just study books on your own and a local cfi might sign you off to take the written when you show them the practice tests you have completed.
    Doing the pracitce tests is a key to passing the written.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-06-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Perfect! Thanks guys! That answers my questions. I was just curious how you would go about getting the written sign off if it was self study, but contacting a CFI makes sense.
    Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by BdNflnc View Post
    Perfect! Thanks guys! That answers my questions. I was just curious how you would go about getting the written sign off if it was self study, but contacting a CFI makes sense.
    Thanks for the help!

Most People would reccomend comtacting a CFI at the beginning anyway. A CFI can help make sure you're ready for the written, and flying at the same time can make the studying part easier to understand.
    And you don't need to have passed the written to start flying, only before you solo.

Dave

Thanks for the insight! That really makes a lot of sense!