Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SolidWorks and EAA

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    I don't see anything in the press conference and media event schedule for Icon. There would probably be some very difficult answers to deliver this year.
    Even the Icon PR team couldn't deflect all of the negative questions coming their way. I'm not surprised that they are avoiding their usual large media events

Quote Originally Posted by LooneyBird View Post
    I am looking forward to the announcement at this year's Oshkosh. They are the leader in 3D systems. I just hope that it is something the average guy can afford. Last years discount of $500 was disappointing when I can find several close competitors at an incredibly different price point. The secrecy is scary, but exciting. We should all benefit from this alliance.
    I've been learning to use Autodesk's Fusion360 with its integrated CAD/CAM and my little CNC mill to design and fabricate parts in 6061. There are a few annoyances with F360 but overall I find it very capable and to be able to do the CAM from the same is awesome. Never having used Solidworks, I can't imagine it would be worth paying the extra over F360's $0... Perhaps if you're a professional, but as a hobbyist, no way.

I am controls engineer, so I don't use 3D CAD yet. I do like to define things before I build them, and I normally over to things. (Build twice, once in a virtual environment, then again in the real world.) I am real comfortable using AutoCAD 2000 for 3D, but know the latest is much better.

I am hoping the announcement is a marriage of the EAA's mission of an educational organization and the SolidWorks Educational pricing. This would turn my head. $0 is great too as there are many competitors that are at that price point.

Because my mission for my plane is composite, redesigning something done in aluminum, I would like some simulation or stress analysis before I build. I don't expect this, but would be HUGE to me. If I can draw in a basic package and have friends at work import and look at the stress to show I am good. That would be all I really need.

The secrecy is incredible. Who ever negotiated this deal has done us all a favor. SolidWorks is an industry leader. If members can get their hands on a copy for a steep discount that will be a wonderful value. Also as the leader this will allow the younger generation to get experience using the software and can make them more desirable as employees. This would be a great way to recruit younger members which we definitely need. I see great things on the horizon. I am still looking forward to this announcement.

I've started using Autodesk Inventor and their Mechanical Engineering Suite for a bit of 3D learning under their university license (free for three years). It's a cool and flexible product, it seems, but I'm still super green with it. From what I know about SolidWorks, and from what others who use it have said about it, I'm really excited to see how this announcement benefits us.
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Quote Originally Posted by LooneyBird View Post
    I am controls engineer, so I don't use 3D CAD yet. I do like to define things before I build them, and I normally over to things. (Build twice, once in a virtual environment, then again in the real world.) I am real comfortable using AutoCAD 2000 for 3D, but know the latest is much better.

I'm currently doing exactly as you described but using Fusion 360 to model a Bearhawk Patrol. It's fun in a different sort of way and I think it is helping to work through potential problems before they occur in the real world.

I work with controls, too and I'm anxious to see if the EAA edition includes access to Solidworks Electrical. I don't know if you're familiar with it, but it is similar to ePlan. It would make doing electrical schematics for homebuilts a walk in the park. It also will do harness creation and nailboard patterns.
    Last edited by quesauce; 07-24-2016 at 05:07 AM.

Thank you to the team at EAA for setting this up. The announcement is HUGE. I look forward to downloading once I get home from OSH16. Lots of great stuff this year!

Downloading, now, and pretty excited about drawing fittings to be cut out by my local waterjet shop. I was trained on CATIA several years ago and expect it to be like riding a bicycle.

Thanks EAA!

With 25 years of CAD experience, including 14 years of Solidworks, I have come to prefer non-history based "direct" modeling. It's easier, faster, with far less headaches. And, in my opinion, easier to learn.

My software of choice is Kubotek's KeyCreator. (http://kubotek3d.com/) (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=keycreator)

I was just wondering how long I should wait for the activation Key to come from Solidworks? I filled out and submitted the form two days ago and I have still not received the activation key. It looks like some of the other guys on here got it right away so how do I find out if something went wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by mdavisgtm View Post
    I was just wondering how long I should wait for the activation Key to come from Solidworks? I filled out and submitted the form two days ago and I have still not received the activation key. It looks like some of the other guys on here got it right away so how do I find out if something went wrong with it?
    It should have been in your email within 5 minutes of submitting the SOLIDWORKS form and beginning the download. Did you download their software?