Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp Scholler Status

Camp Scholler Status

Hello Everyone,

Just checking to see if anyone on here is already setup at Camp Scholler and if so, what is the vacancy looking like? I usually do a quick flight over and back 4-5 days before the show starts to reserve a drive-in camping spot, then drive out with the camper and kids on Friday. I get to claim I flew to OSH, even through there's very little traffic on the Wednesday prior, I don't have to land on a dot, and I get to briefly park at Aeroshell/Conoco/Boeing Plaza...

Last year I was surprised to see how many campers were already there 5 days prior to the show start.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bmckinney View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Just checking to see if anyone on here is already setup at Camp Scholler and if so, what is the vacancy looking like? I usually do a quick flight over and back 4-5 days before the show starts to reserve a drive-in camping spot, then drive out with the camper and kids on Friday. I get to claim I flew to OSH, even through there's very little traffic on the Wednesday prior, I don't have to land on a dot, and I get to briefly park at Aeroshell/Conoco/Boeing Plaza...

Last year I was surprised to see how many campers were already there 5 days prior to the show start.

Thanks!
    I set up this morning, and everything from row 40 to the flight line is filling up pretty quickly. But there are still spots available. Not many large, contiguous areas if you have a large camping group, though. Everything from row 39 to the highway is pretty much wide open yet.
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Are there usually any campsites available late in the week due to early departures? This is the first time I won't be arriving at the beginning of the event.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil View Post
    Are there usually any campsites available late in the week due to early departures? This is the first time I won't be arriving at the beginning of the event.
    Check out this:
    EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2016 Camping Guide
    or you can call Camp Scholler Registration 920-230-7725
    I don't think they bite.
    I do not think they ever put up a No Vacancy sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil View Post
    Oh yes, definitely. But camping in Scholler isn't "controlled" in that they know where the opening are. You'll need to wander the rows and see what's open. If you see an open spot, and if it doesn't have camping creds on it, check the neighbor to see if they know about the spot. If there's no info on it, it's yours. :-)
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

I registered and marked my site on Friday (7/15) about an hour before registration closed for the day, and here is what I recall on availability:
    • Paul's Park was filled with the exception of a couple spots next to a dumpster.
    • The handicapped section by Forest Home Ave was completely open.
    • I think Audrey's Park largely filled (but not having an RV, I didn't really pay attention to that area)
    • Only a few sites were available north of Lindbergh Ave between 45th and 41st.
    • West and south of the above area was largely open.
    • South of Lindbergh still had open spots farther east than Forest Home Ave.

I should arrive on Saturday morning (23rd). Hoping to get somewhere reasonably close to the gates as I don't want to be manhandling a stroller and 3 month old baby onto the school buses unless I really need to! Last year I got there on the Saturday afternoon and ended up waaaay along at stitts & Cedar although I was in the RV, perhaps I can get something smaller and tent sized nearer!

Quote Originally Posted by deftone View Post
    I should arrive on Saturday morning (23rd). Hoping to get somewhere reasonably close to the gates as I don't want to be manhandling a stroller and 3 month old baby onto the school buses unless I really need to! Last year I got there on the Saturday afternoon and ended up waaaay along at stitts & Cedar although I was in the RV, perhaps I can get something smaller and tent sized nearer!
    It's possible. I arrived on Saturday morning before opening day in 2015 and was able to find a spot to squeeze my tent into along 30th. I would expect to be along Stits and be pleasantly surprised if I found something closer.

Plan is to arrive mid morning on Sat. as well. Our usual area is the square bordered by Lindberg, Elm, Stits and Sunrise (11th) Haven't arrived this early since the '80's so might shop for something closer but I'm not holding my breath.

first time camper here. Once i register is it pretty much a free for all to find my own camping spot? What can i use to mark my spot with? Also, are there charcoal dumps for grills or do they only allow propane grills to be used for cooking?