Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3rd Class Medical Reform now Law!

I agree with Tedk. My 3rd class medical expires March 2017. According to the AOPA a 3rd Class Medical does not satisfy the checklist in the new Basicmed process. Sounds crazy to me. Is Basicmed going to be a more thorough examination than the 3rd Class Medical? Can someone from EAA get clarification from the FAA on this?
    Joel Marketello

According to the REGS it doesn count (screw AOPA)., If your medical is even one day past the expiration date (either the SI "not valid for any use after" or the 2/5 normal expiration), you must have both the certificate of the education class completed and the checklist from a state-licensed doctor.

I'm too lazy (or busy - your choice) to read the regulations. So help me out a bit.

In what circumstances is this new improved set of regulations an improvement over the old 3rd class medical?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I'm too lazy (or busy - your choice) to read the regulations. So help me out a bit.

In what circumstances is this new improved set of regulations an improvement over the old 3rd class medical?
    This one seems to be at least as much hassle as getting the third class. The short answer... I think the only ones who are really celebrating may well be the ones with SIs they'll never have to get again.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

If you're over 40, it lets you get by with four years and if you go in for a regular checkup you can likely piggy back this one on.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    This one seems to be at least as much hassle as getting the third class. The short answer... I think the only ones who are really celebrating may well be the ones with SIs they'll never have to get again.
    I'd be interested in seeing what percentage of the pilot population has actually benefited from this legislation, that is those that had been previously excluded from acting as PIC due to inability to pass a medical exam. Seems this was one of those "pick your battles" that could have fought from a different angle.

In my case at age 77 I basically have no health issues but have heard horror stories about someone misdiagnosed with some imagined aliment which triggers being a pen pal with the FAA and takes many dollars and paperwork to sort out. I think I'm quite capable of deciding whether or not I'm fit to fly. I get a through physical every years. In addition this allows me to raise the gross weight on my L16 to 1350# legally and fly my 1350# Chief legally or a Cessna 150, Cherokee or anything else that qualifies with the new regulations.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    ... recommend the FAA tweak the Rule to grandfather an existing active FAA Medical to fulfill the BasicMed requirement. That way, a pilot with a June 2015 Medical could complete the Online Course, and Drivers License Registry consent, and continue to use that to fly till June of 2019.
    I whole hardly agree. Having a whole year's worth of pilots going to their doctors in May to test fly this process is not going to make the process as smooth or as thorough as spacing them out over more time.