Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying the Fisk Arrival

Flying the Fisk Arrival

The normal gen aviation arrival is via Ripon then Fisk to Oshkosh. For most light gen av singles the lower path at 1800 feet msl (1000 agl) and 90 knots is requested. Some people are nervous about flying that speed, even though it is only 15 miles, and worry about other traffic. I tried the speed in my B36 today and with gear down, and 17in, level at 90k was easy. I used half flaps to slow from 140 k, but didnt need any flaps to stay level at 90. about 3* nose up. 90k is probably 1.5 times the stall speed, vso of most light planes.
    For twins,etc, there is 2300 and 135 knots. Of course, gear down, look out the window for traffic and make a normal landing.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-18-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Regardless of what you are flying, unless you are incapable of flying 90 knots, you should use the 90 knot procedure. The 135 knot higher procedure may let you pass over some slower traffic but you're going to just merge in with them again (most likely on base/short final to runway 36).

90 knots is an painful speed for me (Vle is 87), but I still do it (either that or I do the Warbirds arrival...but we're not going here).

90 knots is cruise speed for some of us :-)

90 kts is beyond the Vne for others of us!

The point is very valid - the time to practice the procedures needed for arrival to Oshkosh is before arriving.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I've been spending the past week trying to break myself of that "knob must be IN" feeling. Up and down the Platte River, 75 knots or so, 1000 or less AGL. It's actually petty relaxing, and I'm always amazed at how low the fuel burn is.

Have not observed the Swedish Bikini Team sunning themselves on a sand bar yet. Will keep you all posted if I do sight them.

Dale, the notam says 90 knots, if you are able to do more than 75?

90 is no challenge at all (nor is 75, or 100 for that matter). But if you spotted the Swedish Bikini Team sunning on a sand bar, how fast would YOU want to be flying?

Seriously, I am usually trying to squeeze the last couple of knots out of the RV-12, so I just figured it was a good idea to get used to slowing it down some. The thing can fly what feels like ridiculously slowly if needed.

Actually the NOTAM says " Arrive at Ripon at 90 knots and 1,800’ (or maximum cruising speed if less than 90 knots). If unable, 135 knots and 2,300’."
    and a bit later on the same page (4) " Proceed single file, directly over the railroad tracks from Ripon northeast to Fisk(10 miles). Remain at least ½ mile in-trail behind any aircraft you are following. Do not overtake another aircraft unless authorized by ATC. Do not “S-turn” to follow an aircraft;instead, break off the procedure; return to Ripon; and follow another aircraft of similar speed."
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 08-06-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Y'all do know the purpose of the VFR arrival procedure starting so far from the field, right? ATC Towers sequence and separate traffic (AIM 4-4-13 and -14). When we start far enough from the field, we do the sequencing and separation outside their Class D. When we get it worked out, their job is manageable. If we don't, they aren't responsible for the paperwork.

The arrival procedure works pretty well "if" everyone follows it to the letter and get sequenced properly but if a Cessna 172 is following a Piper Cub it probably raises the pucker factor. That being said I've never had trouble but I usually avoid the peak times. My understanding the first Sunday was a bit of a zoo getting in this past event.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!