Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flying the Fisk Arrival

Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    Screenshots like that are extremely misleading, because the icons are not to scale. Anyone looking at that area in real life would see empty sky with the occasional aircraft.
    Big sky, little airplane. It's worked for decades.

(sarcasm, but only a little)

Sqadly there have been landing accidents at the field, bu I cant recall a fatal midair accident on either the Fisk arrival or warbird arrival in the 3 decades that I have been coming to Oshkosh, and that means despite the many stories of problms, a large number of planes fly the arrival safely. I dont think many if any of the accidents in the pattern are arrival midairs, either, not part of an act. Still, some folks seem to regard it as something out of the realm of a normal pilot. I'd rather not go all the way to Green Bay, where there may not be a "50 page notam" to memorize, but there also is no EAA convention. I would not like to add 100 mile drive every day to the EAA week. Maybe if you had a number of people and were saving a lot of money staying in G B. I looked at prices at Appleton and didnt find them a lot cheaper than Osh. I wonder if anyone flies into Oshkosh when they are going to a Packers home game to avoid cocngestion at G B.
    One thing I really like at EAA is friendly and expert controllers, same at Fon du Lac, and not always true in the rest of the country.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-11-2016 at 05:21 PM.

We had a near miss on very short final for 27. We had been cleared to land hit the green dot. This was about 7:10 Monday morning. Some genius flew directly over us in a 172 and dove down in front of us. He was so close we thought his tail was going to get our prop. Controllers just told him to hit the green dot and us to hit the orange one. ( Really not much else they could do so not a criticism. ). Whoever he was the belly of his plane was filthy, and his ears should have been burning because we may have said a few politically incorrect things concerning his heritage, intelligence, upbringing and I think we even insulted his dog !!!!. I truly do not think he ever saw us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    bu I cant recall a midair accident on either the Fisk arrival or warbird arrival in the 3 decades that I have been coming to Oshkosh.
    There was a collision about four or five years ago between a PA11 and a Saratoga. The PA11 was on the arrival and in level flight and the Saratoga overtook him in a descent. The prop of the '11 hit the wheel and tire of the Saratoga and the PA11 lost about five inches off one prop blade. They both made the airport safely, but the Saratoga shut down a runway after landing because of a sliced wheel and tire, the Cub pilot found a RPM that offered the least vibration. The Saratoga pilot said the Cub hit him, go figure. Not a catastrophic collision, but one that is disconcerting. In three of the last five years that I have flown the arrival, I have had some Bozo enter the arrival between Ripon and Fisk at a 90 degree intercept and almost T-bone me each time. Got to love those guys, actually I think they give Bozos a bad name. The mayhem Sunday on the arrival was concluded safely because of great controllers, mostly good pilots that had read the NOTAM, and good fortune.