Thread: LSA flight tour cross-country USA April - June 2017

LSA flight tour cross-country USA April - June 2017

Hi,
    can anyone help with further information regarding a cross-country trip through the US next year.

I have a sabbatical for 3 month from April - June 2017 and would love to find some fellows to join that trip. I`m German, 49 years old, have a German sport pilot license with 200 hours experience. I intend to get a US LSA license and looking for further information.

Thank you. Best regards,
    Volker

What information are you seeking? What will you be flying? Will you be purchasing a LSA for the trip and returning it to Germany or do you wish to rent an aircraft?
    I assume the goal is to see the USA; north south east and west. Would you consider separate rental in different parts of the country? Camping versus hotels? What is in your budget? Airplane, WSC, land or/and sea. What certificate do you want?

If you are getting a US license keep in mind that to do that you need TSA approval. And to get that approval you need to submit fingerprints etc. If you do that while you are here you will find most of your trip has passed before you can even get started.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    What information are you seeking? What will you be flying? Will you be purchasing a LSA for the trip and returning it to Germany or do you wish to rent an aircraft?
    I assume the goal is to see the USA; north south east and west. Would you consider separate rental in different parts of the country? Camping versus hotels? What is in your budget? Airplane, WSC, land or/and sea. What certificate do you want?
    Yes, the goal is to see as many places as possible in the USA and find someone who is interested in joining the trip. I´m open for both: purchasing a LSA together with someone or to rent the LSA. The budget would be up to 20 - 30 k €, but do not need high class accommodations. The focus is to see as much as possible in that timeframe.

I´m seeking for other forums or flight magazines, where I can post a search to find someone joining the trip. And I need more information regarding a flight school where I can get a LSA license as soon as possible. May there is the chance to do the theoretical part already in advance here in Germany.

Thanks for further information,
    Volker

Hi Volker, I can't help with specifics but some terminology that might make searching easier:

There is no "LSA license" as such. A "Sport Pilot" certificate allows a pilot to fly a "Light-Sport Aircraft" (LSA). This includes not only new aircraft certificated as LSA, but also any aircraft that meets the LSA limitations, including many older aircraft like Piper Cubs, Taylorcraft, etc., as well as many experimental (homebuilt) aircraft.