Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAA Reauthorization including Medical Reform headed to President

FAA Reauthorization including Medical Reform headed to President

At 215pm Eastern time the Senate voted 89 to 4 for the FAA Reauthorization as was amended by the House. It includes the "Feinstein version" of Third Class Medical reform. The Bill now needs to go to the President before Friday in order to avoid impacting FAA Operations. I don't see any Veto threat.

If your 3rd class Medical isn't due till August of 2017, you may have seen your last AME.

Ted
    Last edited by TedK; 07-13-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Beat me to it Ted. An EAA story should be up on our website shortly. By Friday we should be celebrating the enacting of a law that will bring about the most significant change in the medical process since Sport Pilot. Thank you to everyone who wrote and called your elected officials. I can honestly say it made a serious difference in getting this done. See everyone in Oshkosh in a week and a half!

Tom
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Thanks to you and the EAA Advocacy teams hard work. After the big push last year, and the lack of movement, I was doubtful it would happen. What a great outcome for your years work! Way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    If your 3rd class Medical isn't due till August of 2017, you may have seen your last AME.
    What??? I thought if we had a medical in the past 10 years we would be OK??? I let mine lapse last fall since I don't have access to a plane at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    What??? I thought if we had a medical in the past 10 years we would be OK???
    That is correct. I believe what Ted was saying is that this does not become effective for day-to-day flying until the FAA implements it via rulemaking. Under the legislation they have a year to do that. Therefore if you are currently an active pilot, you'll need a valid medical until the rules take effect. If not, but you held a valid medical on or after July 31, 2006, sit tight and in most cases you'll be good to fly once the rule is published.
    Last edited by Tom Charpentier; 07-13-2016 at 01:56 PM.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

This is great news! EAA at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Charpentier View Post
    That is correct. I believe what Ted was saying is that this does not become effective for day-to-day flying until the FAA implements it via rulemaking. Under the legislation they have a year to do that. Therefore if you are currently an active pilot, you'll need a valid medical until the rules take effect. If not but you held a valid medical during on or after July 31, 2006, sit tight and in most cases you'll be good to fly once the rule is published.
    Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

That is correct. I believe what Ted was saying is that this does not become effective for day-to-day flying until the FAA implements it via rulemaking. Under the legislation they have a year to do that. Therefore if you are currently an active pilot, you'll need a valid medical until the rules take effect. If not, but you held a valid medical on or after July 31, 2006, sit tight and in most cases you'll be good to fly once the rule is published.
    Tom,

What if the FAA does not enact a rule change within one year? Government agencies ignoring a law does not mean what it once did.

part of the law prevents the faa from going after us if they fail to update the rules in a year. pretty clever i would say

Hmmm..... I thought I was ineligible, but now I'm wondering. If I had a 3rd class medical issued in 12/2004, it would be valid until 12/2006. So you're saying that I'm grand-fathered-in since mine didn't EXPIRE before the 10 year period closed?

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton