Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAA Reauthorization including Medical Reform headed to President

The legislation says "held" a medical certificate on or after 10 years from enactment (so assuming the president signs by Friday that's 7/15/06). Doesn't say anything about when the exam was.

Implementation by the FAA is the next phase of this process and we'll be working to make sure everything we've fought so hard for is included in the final rule.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Charpentier View Post
    That is correct. I believe what Ted was saying is that this does not become effective for day-to-day flying until the FAA implements it via rulemaking. Under the legislation they have a year to do that. Therefore if you are currently an active pilot, you'll need a valid medical until the rules take effect. If not, but you held a valid medical on or after July 31, 2006, sit tight and in most cases you'll be good to fly once the rule is published.
    Am I remembering something incorrectly, or didn't the legislators give the FAA a 1 year deadline to write the Part 23 reforms, about 3 or 4 years ago?

Dave

dclaxon, I think you are remembering correctly, but the Part 21&23 did not have the " if no rule no enforcement actions may be made " clause. Now it's time to push for this !

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Charpentier View Post
    Beat me to it Ted. An EAA story should be up on our website shortly. By Friday we should be celebrating the enacting of a law that will bring about the most significant change in the medical process since Sport Pilot. Thank you to everyone who wrote and called your elected officials. I can honestly say it made a serious difference in getting this done. See everyone in Oshkosh in a week and a half!

Tom
    Signed by POTUS today.

Congratulations, Tom, to you and all at EAA and AOPA who worked to make this happen.

Thank you.

BJC