Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 AirVenture Webcam Feeds

2016 AirVenture Webcam Feeds

The Streaming Media Volunteer Crew will be monitoring this thread for the remainder of the show for any comments, suggestions, and issues that may occur during this years event.

Our team has worked hard to get the streams up and available as soon as possible, we know many people like to watch the set up and wait to see the first aircraft arrive. We also have also strived to make all the feeds are as compatible with as many different operating systems and devices as possible, however, we know that there still will be some devices that they will not play on properly, unfortunately we can't support all the equipment out there.

One suggestion to start off with, if you are having an issue with opening the stream, make sure you either turn off the pop up blocker, or set these pages as an accepted site to allow for pop ups to be displayed.

Below is a link to the AirVenture Webcam page that will have all the links to the cameras. Note, as of today, the Airshow, Theater in the Woods, and a new Random Feed links are not currently displayed on the page, but will be added to the page as we finalize the configuration of those streams and are ready to make them live.

www.airventure.org/webcams

Some things to remember about the camera feeds:

Some of these cameras run on pre-programmed tours and show live feeds from the grounds, and some cameras (like the Control Tower Videographer camera) may display live video of portions of the daily air show as viewed through the lens of a EAA Volunteer.This is not intended to be television-quality broadcast of the event, just a chance to share their view. There will be times when the videographer is moving the camera, reviewing existing footage, etc., where you may not see the show itself. This is to be expected as they are also capturing footage for other purposes as well.

For the Theater in the Woods feed, this camera displays live video from evening programming. However; due to contractual and other obligations, there are certain events that cannot be broadcast.

Also, if you go to our Livestream or YouTube page, you will be able to view recordings of some of the feeds.
    http://livestream.com/accounts/4758466
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9D...NVP1n_NS6hhRTw

We hope you will enjoy getting a small glimpse of the action around the grounds of EAA AirVenture Oshkosh!

Todd Ritzman
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 07-12-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Fixed broken links.

Thank you Todd for all the work that goes into this!

Thank you soooooo much!
    Rick

Thanks Todd! This will hold me over for the next two weeks until I get there!

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Todd Ritzman,

Pros:
    I have checked the North, Central and South webcams.
    The actually video picture quality of all three webcams is about the same as it was prior years.
    There does seem be a slight slowness in the frame rate when something like the trees limbs are blowing.
    But it does look like the frame rate will suffice for this application.
    The nice feature about the HTML5 player live stream is it has a 4 hour buffer.
    You can back-up and preview any where in the past four hours of the stream. Pretty Slick!
    To return to live stream or real time, just click on live.

Cons:
    There is one thing I notice different from prior years.
    When the web cameras are moving through their pre-programmed tour or panning.
    They do not move smoothly when they are panning, left, right up or down.
    There is a little jerky-ness when they pan.
    When I click on the gear icon and change the speed to 2 while in the live stream mode.
    The camera panning smooths out a little, but the player starts to buffer and the speed setting keeps
    automatically returning to the normal speed setting.
    When I view anywhere in the preview stream and set the speed setting on 2, the camera panning is smoother. (like in prior years)
    And the speed setting stays at 2.
    I tested on IE, Firefox and Chrome Browsers with same results.
    My download speed is 15.20 Mbps.

Zooming in and out is smooth.
    When they are parked they look fine.

I was reading one of your recent POST and you mentioned that you have lost your past bandwidth sponsor.
    Are you dealing with the same bandwidth you had in the past?
    Are you able to do a simulation bandwidth load test to see how many streams the system can handle?
    By what you said it looks as though your feeds and distribution method has also changed.
    Maybe the camera panning (small) issue is attributed to the above changes.

Hope the above info helps with the tweaking.

Thanks Todd. Another GREAT job.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway Feldman View Post
    Todd Ritzman,

Pros:
    I have checked the North, Central and South webcams.
    The actually video picture quality of all three webcams is about the same as it was prior years.
    There does seem be a slight slowness in the frame rate when something like the trees limbs are blowing.
    But it does look like the frame rate will suffice for this application.
    The nice feature about the HTML5 player live stream is it has a 4 hour buffer.
    You can back-up and preview any where in the past four hours of the stream. Pretty Slick!
    To return to live stream or real time, just click on live.

Cons:
    There is one thing I notice different from prior years.
    When the web cameras are moving through their pre-programmed tour or panning.
    They do not move smoothly when they are panning, left, right up or down.
    There is a little jerky-ness when they pan.
    When I click on the gear icon and change the speed to 2 while in the live stream mode.
    The camera panning smooths out a little, but the player starts to buffer and the speed setting keeps
    automatically returning to the normal speed setting.
    When I view anywhere in the preview stream and set the speed setting on 2, the camera panning is smoother. (like in prior years)
    And the speed setting stays at 2.
    I tested on IE, Firefox and Chrome Browsers with same results.
    My download speed is 15.20 Mbps.

Zooming in and out is smooth.
    When they are parked they look fine.

I was reading one of your recent POST and you mentioned that you have lost your past bandwidth sponsor.
    Are you dealing with the same bandwidth you had in the past?
    Are you able to do a simulation bandwidth load test to see how many streams the system can handle?
    By what you said it looks as though your feeds and distribution method has also changed.
    Maybe the camera panning (small) issue is attributed to the above changes.

Hope the above info helps with the tweaking.
    The internet connection speeds that we have at Oshkosh for each of the cameras has remained the same as all the other years (1 DSL at each camera) and are sending the video out of the cameras at the exact same rates and quality as past years. Have to remember for 11 months out of the year, basically the place is just a large field that has no need for any type of connectivity, so internet/phone companies have no incentive to improve their systems for that area.

The portion that has changed is, in the past years we use to host the video ourselves directly on our own server that had access to a gig fiber connection to the internet. The only reason we need such a connection speed was each connection to our server was it's own stream using a small piece of that gig connection and when we would have close to 1000 connections at a time, that was getting close to using all available bandwidth. This year that connection was no longer available so we had to come up with an alternative as that much bandwidth is not cheap to go out and buy. Luckily the solution is thanks to YouTube introducing a live streaming feature. So now we only need enough bandwidth to send the video from the camera to YouTube (a single connection per camera), and YouTube handles all the individual stream connections to the stream and they handle the bandwidth load that is required (so actually, we now have far more bandwidth to the end viewer than we did in the past). The streaming media team still had another challenge to do this as well. These cameras are security cameras and were never designed to have the ability to send the video to a mass amount of people around the world, so we had to come up with an interface to allow a connection to YouTube.

Far as your comment about you changing the play back speed to 2. Yes it is going to appear smoother, you are playing it as twice real speed and yes it is going to start to buffer. YouTube incorporates about a 20 second buffer into their stream to allow for a playback that does not need to stop and buffer/reload the video all the time, when you double the playback speed, you use up that buffer the YouTube stream has in the playback, the incoming stream from our servers will remain the same no matter what you select.

Todd

Will the web cams be added to the 2016 Airventure app?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kitslaar View Post
    Will the web cams be added to the 2016 Airventure app?
    Just heard back from our EAA contact and yes the links will be added to the app.

I have a comment on the south camera's tour, if you're still tweaking them. It dwells a lot, I guess on ultralight activities, and it is, after all, on the Ultralight tower. But the dwells seem excessively long to me. Second, is there any way it could go a little further left, to show more of Vintage parking, before it reverses back to the right? Many people park down there and want to show the folks back home where they're parked. Thanks for all your long and hard work.

Mike E