Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flight Testing - Airframe vs Personal Parachute

Well, after pondering the matter some more, I believe I will add a little extra structure around the baggage compartment to attach the harness to if I decide to temporarily install a BRS in the cargo bay, but right now I am leaning toward just wearing one.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that a rocket deployed BRS can save you lower than a personal parachute, by the time you unbuckle your seat belt, exit/clear the aircraft, and deploy the chute. I believe there have been successful BRS saves from as low as 200'.

That said, I'm inclined to go with a personal parachute when (if!) I build the design I'm working on. I'm more concerned with problems testing the edges of the aerobatic flight envelope than I am with structural or handling issues taking off or landing, and a personal parachute is lighter and cheaper than a BRS.

Canards are designed to never stall and therefore never spin. You should design a good anti-stall margin into your flight characteristics (read as canard always stalls first at worst possible aft CG plus some safety margin).

If I may offer some food for thought. The FAA requires that even aircraft that are placarded against spins be designed and flight tested to demonstrate that they recover from a one turn spin. And you may not be aware that all light twins are spin tested.

And as for parachutes in helicopters - Helicopter flight test crews wear parachutes and use them successfully. I know of at least two incidents where parachutes saved crews. If you do not think that wearing a parachute makes sense, then you should learn more about what can go wrong in a helicopter.

Be carefull up there.

Wes
    N78PS

Hi Wes, I was thinking way back to 65, when the 11th Air Asault formed up in the states and chutes were issued. When the Div got to Nam it was redesignated 1st Cav(Air Mobile) and Mel Gibson was a Bn CO. Since they hardly climbed up out of the "bozzo sphere" Chutes were no help. They were ordered turned in to supply. One of my copilots was a test pilot for Charlie Kaman and wrecked at least one H2 with no chute.

Bob
    ATP (H) ex Dustoff 100

It seems you are predisposed to a chute ... and I think that is prudent myself. Rather than consider for just the test phase, why not embrace a BRS as a permanent measure to provide peace of mind throughout the flying year for you....and your passenger. As mentioned, there are rare but possible events of poor terrain, unexpected turbulence, disorientation, health incapacitation, visibility, panic, and more, that may make your decision to go BRS a no brainer if it happens. I know there are colorful stories of skilled pilots successfully dealing with these events, but I myself will opt for the benfits of this advancement in flying technology, and its proven record of success. I could always get another plane (maybe .

Parachutes - There are a number of situations where a parachute can help you, and a number of situations where they can not help you. Whether or not you wear a parachute depends on whether you are exposing yourself to the first set of situations, how often, and for how long. They are a tool.

There was an incident a few years ago where during a flight test a helicopter tail rotor transmission seized. I am told that the last crew member left the aircraft at something like 300', was thrown well clear of the rotating aircraft, and got an open parachute before reaching the ground.

If you are an average pilot flying a factory aircraft then you are extremely unlikely to need a parachute. If you are flight testing a well known homebuilt kit, you are likely to need a parachute for the hours spent verifying that your example behaves like the rest of the population of that aircraft. If you are flight testing a completely new design, you are likely to need a parachute for the (more) hours that you spend verifying the entire spectrum of flight characteristics and structural integrity. And if you are a guy like me where an average flight involves +6G and -3G (aerobatics), and who thinks that flying without an airplane is routine (skydiving), you wear a parachute a lot.

A parachute won't save you from every situation. It just gives you an option when all of the decisions available have bad consequences.

Y'all be carefull out there.

Wes
    N78PS

Just thought that I'd add a caution about a parachute giving you a false sense of security. It won't save you from all accidental failures so don't think you need to push the envelope past what is safe.....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    don't think you need to push the envelope past what is safe.....
    That isn't likely to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by b2p View Post
    why not embrace a BRS as a permanent measure
    it adds weight, and it is becoming a royal pain to integrate into the design - that said I'm not ruling it out, I think I figured out how to mount one in a rack over the baggage compartment under a fairing

although I am wondering if I couldn't just mount a medium sized extraction chute back there, manually pop the fairing & accomplish the same thing

Does the BRS system typically not scrap the airplane anyways? What's the descent rate as you hit the ground? Whats the structural damage from the "impact" of the chute deploying while your in a spin, etc? I'm not sure the BRS will save your plane, I guess the focus is more on saving you!

I think you might have a business idea though....buying a BRS then leasing it out. not a bad idea