Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: House Passes Medical Reform!

I believe the only thing to change is the doctor who signs off on the medical.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Pardon me, but "They" didn't "give" us anything. DOT blocked the petition version, so Senator Inhofe went his own way via legislation. He, plus EAA and AOPA (though they've been so close-mouthed as to be suspicious), and thousands of letter-writing pilots like you and me, lobbied long and hard to get this for us.
    Concur.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I don't think this is like SP were you drive off your drivers licences. You still need to pass a medical, but from my understanding your doctor can give this. You do not need to go to a special doctor for this. I could be wrong though.

1600vw
    I haven't pored over the bill's language, but just from vague recollection, I believe you have to either a) have had an AME-given medical within the last 10 years, or you have to b) OBTAIN an AME-given medical ONCE. Subsequent "renewals" can be by your regular medical doctor. Like I said, this was from a quick scan.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Yes, there is a one time 3rd class medical requirement. The medical must be valid (not expired) no more than 10 years before the bill is signed into law. After you have the one time medical, you will need to take an online medical class every two years and see your doctor and have them sign a form every 4 years.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

Quote Originally Posted by wallda View Post
    Yes, there is a one time 3rd class medical requirement. The medical must be valid (not expired) no more than 10 years before the bill is signed into law. After you have the one time medical, you will need to take an online medical class every two years and see your doctor and have them sign a form every 4 years.
    Everyone celebrating? Online medical class. I find that very interesting. I wonder what this on-line medical class will cost. They mention nothing as to the charges of this " medical Class". How many believe this will be free? Not only interesting but a bit funny as in tickles my funny bone.

Free

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Everyone celebrating? Online medical class. I find that very interesting. I wonder what this on-line medical class will cost. They mention nothing as to the charges of this " medical Class". How many believe this will be free? Not only interesting but a bit funny as in tickles my funny bone.
    If the bills passes as written there will be no cost for the online class/course.....

(c) MEDICAL EDUCATION COURSE REQUIRE-
    MENTS.—The medical education course described in this subsection shall—
    (1) be available on the Internet free of charge;
    (2) be developed and periodically updated in co- ordination with representatives of relevant nonprofit and not-for-profit general aviation stakeholder groups;
    (3) educate pilots on conducting medical self-as- sessments;
    (4) advise pilots on identifying warning signs of potential serious medical conditions;
    (5) identify risk mitigation strategies for med- ical conditions;
    (6) increase awareness of the impacts of poten- tially impairing over-the-counter and prescription drug medications;
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

And it's not like the new manufactured LSA aircraft sales have been going gangbusters.

It may bring down the price on some older production aircraft, though, as the demand will go down slightly.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by wallda View Post
    I doubt you will see many changes in the light sport market. Those who manufactured airplanes sold as light sport, certified them to ASTM standards. If they decide to increase the gross weight, that would mean they would need to recertify to meet Part 23.

I don't think the way the craft was certified is the point. I think a lot of pilots who would have been in the market for a
    $100,000 LSA will now be in the market for a $40,000 "real" airplane. (And some will just be able to keep flying what
    they already have.) I suspect this loss of customer base will hurt some of the LSA manufacturers.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dclaxon View Post
    I don't think the way the craft was certified is the point. I think a lot of pilots who would have been in the market for a
    $100,000 LSA will now be in the market for a $40,000 "real" airplane. (And some will just be able to keep flying what
    they already have.) I suspect this loss of customer base will hurt some of the LSA manufacturers.

Dave
    His question included " I wonder if manufactures will take advantage of it and increase the performance and passenger capacity of their light sport planes."

My answer was this won't happen because of the LSA certification process and how different it is from Part 23.

-Charles Lindbergh

As far as the doctor 'sign off' goes it's no different than my local physician who signs off my CDL medical or school bus endorsement.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!