Thread: Age to Solo in 1956

Big Grin Age to Solo in 1956

I am seeking information regarding age rules to solo an aircraft in 1956? These I believe would fall under the Civil Aeronautics Administration, which I believe was in place at that time.

I can find rules governing this under FAA rules, but not for July 1956?

Anyone out there that can lead me to something regarding these age requirements?

Thanking you in advance.

It would have been Part 20 of the Civil Aeronautics Regulations and Civil Aeronautics Manual CAM 20.

I'd go to http://specialcollection.dotlibrary.dot.gov/Home click on the "Civil Aeronautics Regulations" database, then click on "Part 20" and also reference "Civil Aeronautics Manual CAM 20"

**Spoiler Alert** The minimum age to hold a student pilot certificate for powered airplanes was 16 (CAM 20, 20.2) ergo a student pilot certificate was required for solo, ergo the minimum age to solo a powered aircraft was 16.

Yep in late 1956 there is even a adopted rule there that clarifies that the rule only applies to actually having the certificate issued at 16 (You can apply early).

Canada, by the way, still has the solo requirements at 14 I believe.

Around 1952 a friend of my father "de-registered" his Cub and let his 14 year old son solo and fly for a few weeks. Then he "re-registered" the airplane with the CAA. My father considered doing this for my first solo, but we waited until I turned 16 when I did my first solo with 116 hours of dual logged.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Canada, by the way, still has the solo requirements at 14 I believe.
    Correct.