Thread: Parking Question

Parking Question

Hi, All;

We originally were going to miss this year's Convention due to our son being married. ($$$ reasons) Somewhat relevant is that we always stay at the dorms. We would always arrive the Saturday before the show, which afforded us time to obtain provisions, etc., and then take the bus to the grounds from the dorms.

Well, by some divine intervention, the ducks were lined up and I'll be able to attend a few days.

The question I'm asking is a two-parter: If I arrive in MKE in the late AM and drive to OSH on TUESDAY, arriving around 1 PM, a) will I be able to park in the blue lot, and b) is there any break on the parking price for late-day arrivals? My alternate is to just proceed VFR to the dorms and catch the bus as we do every year. I'm just trying to save an extra 1/2 to 1 hour to be on the grounds.

This will be my 12th year in a row, so I'm familiar with the grounds, traffic routes, etc.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Carl, I'd be surprised if the Blue Lot was still open at 1:00. But, it will be on Tuesday. Full rates though I'm sure. Glad you can make it. Our son is getting married Saturday. Plan on hitting the field Monday morning. Haven't missed one since '70.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but how does the parking work? Are you directed at random to a parking area? Or is it dependant on north or south arrivals, as I've noticed that there may be one way traffic directions by the police.?
    2016 1st time Oshkosh visitor, 2017 was hopeful but just not to be..but see my 2016 and upcoming 2018 adventure on mikelynnweb.wordpress.com Celebrating the RAF100

Quote Originally Posted by biggles1998 View Post
    Not wanting to hijack the thread, but how does the parking work? Are you directed at random to a parking area? Or is it dependant on north or south arrivals, as I've noticed that there may be one way traffic directions by the police.?
    Nice website, Mike. I'll keep an eye out for the distinctive cap!

Finally found on your site that you're staying in the dorms at UW Oshkosh. Given that, you won't have to deal with show traffic at all. Leave your car at the uni and ride the bus back and forth for $3 a day and let the bus driver handle it. They know the tricks and probably get waved ahead even when lines of cars are stopped. Even your last day, it might be quicker to ride the bus back to the uni and drive out from there, though you'd have to figure the easiest route. You always meet enthusiasts in the queues and on the bus, and I've run into poms (what the Aussies call you) and other Commonwealth folk on the bus almost every day.

Have fun. It looks like your're well, well, prepared.

Mike E

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Nice website, Mike. I'll keep an eye out for the distinctive cap!

Finally found on your site that you're staying in the dorms at UW Oshkosh. Given that, you won't have to deal with show traffic at all. Leave your car at the uni and ride the bus back and forth for $3 a day and let the bus driver handle it. They know the tricks and probably get waved ahead even when lines of cars are stopped. E
    Hi. Thanks for the comments :-)

thats is very interesting about the bus, I heard that a run was going from the uni, but didn't see where the costs where and they could be a good option, only I was thinking of having the car for any additional stuff I may need during the show - spare clothes for the evening, somewhere to dump anything I buy rather than carrying it around, and I have already set up a pressie to pick up for the wife from a local shop who's going to be on the grounds. Saying that getting back to the car may be an issue in itself depending on where it's parked maybe.. I think I've said this before, but trying to fit 7 days into 3 is going to be a hard task, and anything I can prep for will make it a lot easier.

Ha. And as to the POM (LOL) I lived in Sydney for a few years, and pickup a twang, so even I get called antipodian sometimes.. :-)

cheers.
    2016 1st time Oshkosh visitor, 2017 was hopeful but just not to be..but see my 2016 and upcoming 2018 adventure on mikelynnweb.wordpress.com Celebrating the RAF100