Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaving oshkosh on the saturday (driving)

leaving oshkosh on the saturday (driving)

HI.

Saturday will be my last day and will be leaving in the morning to catch my flight back to good ol' blightly. ( wish I could stay the whole weekend ) but time, family commitments etc stop me from doing so.

That said, i'm driving back to Chicago on the Saturday morning, does anyone have an idea or guide on what type of time it might take to get out of Oshkosh and back to O'Hare so I can work out the best time to leave? I'm hoping that going south will be pretty traffic free but I've never been before so any advice would be good.

thanks in advance

mike
    2016 1st time Oshkosh visitor, 2017 was hopeful but just not to be..but see my 2016 and upcoming 2018 adventure on mikelynnweb.wordpress.com Celebrating the RAF100

Google says 2:30 drive time. Better throw in :30 for contingencies and road work, then :30 to turn in the rental car.

And TSA is saying show 3:00 prior to departure. You may be looking at wheels-in-the-well 6.5 hours prior to departure......

As long as you aren't trying to get off field immediately after the airshow, I've never seen the Wisconsin traffic to be bad. I've driven in-out a few times and have made a few Cabela's runs during the show. As least on Saturday, the Chicagoland traffic shouldn't be too bad.

Likely an evening flight? As posted I'd back off from departure time with plenty of allowances for traffic, car return, and then some time in the security line.

As you drive South on 41 exit 60 has a large Cabela's Store on the East side of the exit. It's a nice place to look around, if you need a breather.

ah heck.. I've been toying with getting a new .22 rifle, and if I stop at Cabela's it'll be to much of a temptation to try and squeeze it in my suitcase to get through customs..

thanks for the comments all - good to hear that traffic should be ok, which means ill be able to get a hearty breakfast in me before hitting the road at a reasonable time.
    2016 1st time Oshkosh visitor, 2017 was hopeful but just not to be..but see my 2016 and upcoming 2018 adventure on mikelynnweb.wordpress.com Celebrating the RAF100

You can get one of the Ruger 10-22 takedowns which the barrel twists off. Packs very compactly. Henry makes one where the barrel and other parts fit into the stock.

We usually fly into Milwaukee; in 2014 we tried O'Hare. Drive is a bit longer than to/from MKE, but not really bad at all. HOWEVER, we were surprised on the return drive. Just about the entire drive, all was well and good. Then, about 30 minutes N of O'Hare, complete dead stop. While we weren't cutting it super-close, I had no idea whether the delay was construction, and accident, or a fatal accident. We never did get above 15-20 MPH the rest of the drive into the airport. If you have a GPS or iPhone with traffic reporting ability, study it frequently on your drive just to make sure. Oh, yeah - in complete truthfulness, our drive was during Friday rush-hour, so some basis for that. However, Saturday/Sunday is usually when the road crews will block off one or more lanes for construction purposes.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

hi - yes that's my worry with any roadwork's, but mostly if getting out of Osh would be an issue, I found a good site https://www.illinoisvirtualtollway.com/ to keep an eye on traffic and roadwork's..

Meriwether Lewis and Kimberly Clark when searching Wisconsin for the Fountain (or as they say up there, the Bubbler) of Youth, knew they had headed too far south when their Indian guides had to stop from time to time to throw forty cents into the bushes.

Biggles, make sure you drive on the RIGHT side
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195