Thread: My first W&B, 1320 is crazy.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rolls Eyes My first W&B, 1320 is crazy.

I am a new sport-student pilot, who calculated his first W&B tonight for my next lesson. I can now appreciate the absurdity of the 1320 lbs limit. Both my CFI and I weigh in at 180'something pounds each, average size males by any measure. With nothing more than just our headsets and kneeboards, we're lucky to legally go up with barely half a tank of fuel. By my calculations you'd have to weigh in at maybe 100 lbs for two people to fly with a full tank in a skycatcher.

My question is does anyone know whether efforts are being made to have this ridiculous (my opinion) rule changed? I read the putative justifications for the number, but it all still seems very arbitrary to me. Just a couple of more hundred pounds seem more reasonable. Enough to allow a couple of average size guys to fly with full fuel.

Don't misunderstand me, I am grateful for the sport pilot opportunity, and appreciate the efforts that went into designing this entryway. In fact, I wouldn't be taking lessons if this option were not available, I am not interested in the additional privileges (night, long distance, etc) that come from a PPL. And yet I feel there's ample room for improvement regarding some of the SPL restrictions.

Happy flying all!
    Last edited by Jndz1010; 07-05-2016 at 10:45 PM.