Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for opinions.....

My head hurts....... Lol.
    Rick
    But seriously thank you to ALL of you for your advice and info....

Ron, since your 1st paragraph is basically repeating my 2nd paragraph, I assume the 'slightly off' is referring to your 2nd paragraph. I didn't mention the whole E-SLA situation because, if memory serves, the E-SLA category is mostly for former "fat" Ultralights and the 2-place versions of them that were for training. I'm now guessing a bit so please correct any error, but I thought FAA needed a place to put them and so made the Experimental Light Sport category. Because the original post sounded like he was interested in a bit larger & faster machinery than those craft, I just skipped the E-SLA bidness.

Russel Green

Quote Originally Posted by flyrgreen View Post
    Ron, since your 1st paragraph is basically repeating my 2nd paragraph, I assume the 'slightly off' is referring to your 2nd paragraph. I didn't mention the whole E-SLA situation because, if memory serves, the E-SLA category is mostly for former "fat" Ultralights and the 2-place versions of them that were for training. I'm now guessing a bit so please correct any error, but I thought FAA needed a place to put them and so made the Experimental Light Sport category. Because the original post sounded like he was interested in a bit larger & faster machinery than those craft, I just skipped the E-SLA bidness.
    You had a good summary, but at one point you said:

"HOWEVER, if you purchase a used S-LSA, you can take a 120-hour course to become legal for all maintenance and annual inspection on your S-SLA. "

The 120-hour course lets you annual ANY S-LSA, not just one you own.

The E-LSA category covers the former fat ultralights, but it's much broader than that. For instance, you said:

"Where the confusion comes from is regarding S-LSA. These are aircraft purpose-built for LSA category, usually sold as a kit or ready-to-fly from the factory. "

S-LSAs are produced, ready to fly by the company, not by individual buyers as kits. The company can sell the same aircraft as a kit, but when completed, it can only be licensed as E-LSA. Similarly, the owner of a S-LSA can have his airplane re-registered as an E-LSA. He can then do his own annuals, if he takes the 16-hour Light Sport -Inspector course.

Here's some artwork that I hope helps explain it...

And a bit more on the maintenance/inspection issue:

Ron Wanttaja

Byron J. Covey
    And there is your next magazine article on a widely mis-understood subject. Or has it allready been published?

Good job. Thanks for taking the time.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    And there is your next magazine article on a widely mis-understood subject. Or has it allready been published?
    Yes, it's actually from my 2005 article in KITPLANES introducing the new rules.

Ron Wanttaja

I'm off to purchase a pitchfork and suitable materials to construct a torch for the use of the word "Annual" when describing the 12 month Condition Inspection of Experimentals.

It's a long march from here to there, so expect me in about six months.

Very nice graphic to explain stuff for us monosyllable types, Ron!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Ron,
    Forgive my ignorance ( read that as stupidity), but does the 120 hour course allow repair and inspecting ANY aircraft that is not tc'd but falls in the lsa category. For example, I purchace a completed Kitfox IV, can I do maintenance and condition inspection ( correct terminology for Frank... I am a bleeder) on it?
    Thanks
    Rick

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I'm off to purchase a pitchfork and suitable materials to construct a torch for the use of the word "Annual" when describing the 12 month Condition Inspection of Experimentals.

It's a long march from here to there, so expect me in about six months.

Very nice graphic to explain stuff for us monosyllable types, Ron!
    Best start with the FAA.

From http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/4db2c5cd655cb3cc86257647004af4ee/$FILE/AC%2020-27G.pdf

17. Becoming a Repairman of Your Amateur-Built Aircraft. You can get a repairman certificate under certain circumstances. However, the only privilege this certificate gives you under 14 CFR § 65.104, Repairman certificate—experimental aircraft builder—Eligibility, privileges and limitations, is to do the annual condition inspection.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
    Ron,
    Forgive my ignorance ( read that as stupidity), but does the 120 hour course allow repair and inspecting ANY aircraft that is not tc'd but falls in the lsa category. For example, I purchace a completed Kitfox IV, can I do maintenance and condition inspection ( correct terminology for Frank... I am a bleeder) on it?
    No, it actually has to be licensed in the Special Light Sport Aircraft or Experimental Light Sport Aircraft categories.

It's really too bad, I, too would take the 120-hour course to be able to handle the annual condition inspection of my Fly Baby.

Ron Wanttaja

Ok,
    so let's use a Rans s-7 for example. They had a kit that was not s-lsa but now it is marketed as s-lsa. In the eyes of the FAA are they two different aircraft? Am I getting this all hosed up? Could I repair one but not another?
    Thank you for your patience
    Rick